Parents TOPS Question???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymmieC

Proud Parent
Okay. Let me preface first that my DD is not a TOPs girl. She is at a new gym that does do TOPs , but Dd is not involved. And let me say that my question is not in regards to any of the girls or parents at DD's gym either.
What I want to know is Why do so many parents put so much stock in this program? I have heard it said time and time again that TOPs is definitely not the end all of gymnastics. However, I have seen too much crazy over this one program. Some parents think that because their DDs are involved that elite training, etc is just around the corner. If their DDs make a camp, forget it...some are jumping and beside themselves thinking their DDs are headed for the olympics. They set up private after private in the attempts to have their DDs acquire skills to set them apart and perhaps be chosen for a developmental camp... I have heard some crazy comments from moms who were there at National training. These moms were in such awe over what they heard spoken by other parents at NT. Anything can happen is what I truly believe. Those talented gymmies and some who are NOT involved in TOPs as long as they themselves are destined to reach their goals because of their own passion and dedication have a greater chance at going elite , at least in my opinion, then those who have overzealous, pushy, crazed parents. Why don't these CGMs realize that before it is too late? I guess like many things I just seek understanding. I try not being judgmental, but in cases like these I often struggle and say "What is wrong with these people?!"
I don't mean to offend anyone. I simply want to understand. I am a teacher, and because of that I consider myself an advocate for children. Some of these kids look so unhappy...Thank you!

Hmmmm. I guess my DD is a "TOPS girls" to some extent. She is in the TOPS program at her gym and qualified for National Testing, but she will not be attending a TOPS camp. I really don't see the crazies at my gym involved in the TOPS program. Elite gymnastics is not something we are interested in for my DD, nor (to my knowledge) are the other girls (or their parents) who are in our gym's TOPS program interested in elite. Instead, our TOPS program is just made up of young girls who love gymnastics and want to get some extra conditioning and skills practice. At my gym TOPS is lots of fun and the girls can't wait for TOPS class!

Also, I spoke to several parents at TOPS National Testing and none seemed like CGMs to me. I am sure there are some just not sure there is an over-representation of them in the TOPS program. My DH accuses me all the time of never seeing the bad in people, so maybe I just don't see it. Otherwise, perhaps you've just been exposed to a few "bad apples"

You could be right. For their DDs sake, I really hope you are. I have talked to some very sane parents, but i have also talked to the 'bad apples' as you say. I was wondering what in the program if at all can be that negative turning point for some. I 100% believe that if the child really wants success, they will find it with out the added crazy. At least that is in my ideal world...

I agree with clover. Often times it only takes one crazy parent to make a generalization. I did not come across any crazy parents when I took my daughter as a 10 year old. My husband did when he took my daughter as a 9 year old. But it was just one father who asked a question at the parent's meeting about what they would recommend the parents do when their daughter starts competing against the Chinese. His daughter was 8 years old! They are out there but certainly not in abundance.

It is exciting to be acknowledged by the nation's sole governing body in gymnastics (USAG) as a gymnast with the potential, talent, skills to reach the elite level. Thousands of talented kids test on the state level, about three hundred make national testing and about 60 make the A team and 60 the B. The skills and strength abilities these girls are required to do is pretty difficult. It certainly is cause for excitement. Just being at the ranch where our great gymnasts have trained is exciting. For that moment, these young gymnasts are top in their game. These 8-10 year old can do things 90% of the other gymnasts cannot do. As a patent, it is exciting to be put in that category. However, some parents do take it over the top and take it to the extreme. They are not aware that only a handful of these gymnasts will get to the elite level for various reasons. TOPs is far from a guarantee but it is a step (though not necessary) towards that goal.

TOPS is a big thing for young gymnasts. It is a great accomplishment. For anyone familiar with TOPS, these kids have distinguished themselves as top athletes. For any parent to be told that is quite exhilarating.

I agree with clover. Often times it only takes one crazy parent to make a generalization. I did not come across any crazy parents when I took my daughter as a 10 year old. My husband did when he took my daughter as a 9 year old. But it was just one father who asked a question at the parent's meeting about what they would recommend the parents do when their daughter starts competing against the Chinese. His daughter was 8 years old! They are out there but certainly not in abundance.

It is exciting to be acknowledged by the nation's sole governing body in gymnastics (USAG) as a gymnast with the potential, talent, skills to reach the elite level. Thousands of talented kids test on the state level, about three hundred make national testing and about 60 make the A team and 60 the B. The skills and strength abilities these girls are required to do is pretty difficult. It certainly is cause for excitement. Just being at the ranch where our great gymnasts have trained is exciting. For that moment, these young gymnasts are top in their game. These 8-10 year old can do things 90% of the other gymnasts cannot do. As a patent, it is exciting to be put in that category. However, some parents do take it over the top and take it to the extreme. They are not aware that only a handful of these gymnasts will get to the elite level for various reasons. TOPs is far from a guarantee but it is a step (though not necessary) towards that goal.

TOPS is a big thing for young gymnasts. It is a great accomplishment. For anyone familiar with TOPS, these kids have distinguished themselves as top athletes. For any parent to be told that is quite exhilarating.
Oh I 100% understand that. But I also realize that there are probably hundreds if not more girls who are quite talented yet never go through Tops. The girls making it to a camp, and I would never take anything away from these talented gymmies, are TOPS from the pool who have gone through and tested but not made a camp. I hope that makes sense. They are not on TOP of EVERY 8-10 yo in gymnastics.
In DDs gym alone I have noted about a handful of girls, and no I dont put Dd in that handful although I do believe she has talent, who are outstanding and can rule over the girls in our TOPs group yet they aren't identified through Tops for the mere factor that they have not gone through TOPs. These girls win just about all meets they go to. They are quite beautiful to watch. So in reality, as an outsider looking in, that is my perspective and it helps to keep me sane.
By the way, I never meant to say that ALL TOPs parents are insane. I just wondered if there was a piece that I was missing. A friend shared with me some statements that were made by staff at nt, perhaps these 'crazies' are just buying to much into it. The child is who I worry about. That is all.
Thank you for your honesty 4theloveofsports.

Let me also add that I have seen my share of cgps with DDs NOT involved in TOPs. So by no means am I implying that the crazies are only involved in TOPs. I need to stop thinking I can counsel the world. The child's psyche is always at the forefront for me.

It doesn't help when the "governing body" of USAG starts the parent's meeting, with 300 parents sitting in a room, during the national TOPS testing by stating, "Look around... the parent of the next future Olympian may be sitting in this room." Imagine how that affects those few over exuberant moms.

That above is what I overheard from my friend who was there too! Crazy in retrospect. I feel I need to add a disclaimer: I by no means see the cgm at DDs gym. These moms are very realistic. So my question came in two parts due to how I approach DDs gym. My baby is struggling with her series on beam due to two scary falls, thank goodness I wasn't there. And all I can think of is be her cushion. And the second part came to me out of the reality that the child's well being isn't always at the forefront of the cgm's mind. That is what bothers me. So in reality the question is to wake up the cgm in us all and see the child not the future. TOPs was just what we were talking about at the time...oh boy!

Well, at our gym the regular TOPs program is used more as a pre-team training group, with the thought of picking out the few exceptionally talented girls for National TOPs. We usually send only a handful of girls for national testing, the rest of the TOPs group is divided into levels based on strength and skill. From those groups, girls get picked for Team eventually.
I'm a huge believer in TOPs in the sense that the girls in the lower levels of team (we start team at new L3) who have gone through at least 6mo or so of TOPs training all do a lot better than the girls coming straight from rec.
I'm sure there are CGMs in all walks of gymnastics.... :)

TOPS gives DD a great opportunity to train some harder skills and learn some of the processes of training elite. My DD loved testing and thrived on the pressure of testing at the Ranch. She took it very seriously and made it to A camp. Some of her older teammates who trained TOPS tested elite but fell short. But one has a verbal full ride and the others are on their way to getting one when they become eligible.

We also have gymnasts who never trained TOPS that made it to Elite. Also, we have girls who never trained TOPS that have full ride scholarships for college. They took their NORMAL training seriously and worked hard to become successful.

My point is that all gymnast's paths to wherever they want to go with gymnastics is different. Don't worry about the CGMs. Worry about keeping good communication with your HC and DD and figure out the best path to success. The National team is full of girls who trained TOPS and many who chose a different path. TOPS takes an extra investment with time and $$$.

I have sat through the meetings at national testing and have heard all the comments stated. I think USAG likes to point out that former Olympians and National team members trained TOPS as a way of keeping parents engaged with the program. Many CGMs push their DD's to do TOPS as a prestige thing over other girls in the gym so that can have a special leotard and train TOPS skills separately. In the end it all comes down to performance at meets. TOPS or not you'll see who can handle the pressure.

My DD is a TOPs girl. She made the diamond team this year, but she struggles with compulsories (level 4) due to her small size. She is only about 42 inches tall at 7.5 years old and still comfortably fits in a size 4T clothing. What she lacks in grace she makes up for in power & strength and therefore can succeed in the TOPs physical abilities for her age. IMO TOPs is just a different training approach that works better for some gymnasts.

But what is also important to mention here is that the TOPs program is also a way for coaches of smaller gyms to gain experience and knowledge from national coaches etc.

Thank you. I totally understand that. It's not that I want to understand the cgm per say, but more that I wonder what about TOPs gymnastics or even gymnastics as a whole that could turn a parent into such a cgm. I look at my DD and I just see her not the gymnast she is or could become. I wanted to see if more cb parents had the same question as me. Yes, TOPs is only one way to elite if the child wants it. It isn't by any scrape of the imagination a sure thing or a ticket to elite etc.

I've never been to a TOPs camp or the parent meeting so I have no idea if it is TOPs that can turn a parent into a cgm or a cgd for that matter. I would probably label my husband a cgd. I think a lot of cgp's try to live vicariously through their children, TOPs or not! I should say that my hubs is not boastful more inquisitive and thirsts for gymnastics knowledge. He is constantly on the USA gym website

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back