Parents TOPS question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mobeans

Proud Parent
The gym my daughter attends does not have a TOPS program currently. Is this something she could test for by herself? Or does the coach need to have an "official program" at the gym? I'm curious why our gym doesn't do this...we are one of the bigger and more competitive gyms in the area.

You need a coach. Why not just ask at the gym if they'd be willing to start a TOPS program? Coaches and owners can chime in, but I don't think that there are any major expenses for the gym - just the cost of the state test ($50 each) and any expenses if your DD goes to National Testing. They'd probably pass a lot (or maybe all) of those costs on to you anyway.

I actually know the answer to this! We do TOPs and I think it's a wonderful program, however I can see why some gyms don't do it.
You CAN test if you want to, but you need to be a registered gymnast and your coach needs to be there with you, as well as of course having to register for the testing etc.
a word of caution: TOPs is exceptionally competitive nowadays. I wouldn't test unless the child in question can do all the requirements and then some... The child will test according to what age they are on dec 31 (so jan bday is good, nov/dec bday bad...). All the strength and skill requirements are on the USAG website.
Good luck!

Well, if you are one of the very few, extremely successful testers you get invited to the training camp in Texas. For your average, garden variety gymnast I personally see no benefit in testing. Benefits to the TOPs training, absolutely, but no real benefits to go to testing. That's just me though... They get scored like at gym meets but totally different. The scores are set for how well they perform the strength requirements and they get deductions from there for various things. The skills portion is set up to have the "judge/adjudicator" look at how well the skills are performed on a scale of excellent/good/fair/incomplete, so no great finesse... The skills are appr L5-7 skills.
This is all totally my personal opinion. I don't think anyone should feel like they are missing out on some super secret great opportunity by not testing. I'm sure there are plenty of benefits to it similar to competing gymnastics in general but I don't see much additional benefits if your dd is already competing. :)

The gym my daughter attends does not have a TOPS program currently. Is this something she could test for by herself? Or does the coach need to have an "official program" at the gym? I'm curious why our gym doesn't do this...we are one of the bigger and more competitive gyms in the area.
If it is any consolation, there isn't a single gym in our entire state that has a TOPs program. And I get the impression that none of the gyms around here are interested in starting a TOPs program. I don't know if the gymnasts in our state are just less talented than in other states :) or what the deal is, but it's not an option for us either.

My daughter did TOPs. The training is extremely beneficial to the gymnast, mostly strength and flexibility. The skills training was useful, but much more advanced than many gymnasts are competing, age-wise. For instance, 8 year olds are doing Level 5-6, 9 year olds Level 7-8, and 10 year olds Level 9 skills ( ESP. At National testing). However, Going to the Ranch is a fantastic experience and my dd really enjoyed working with coaches down there.

However, the program is really meant to benefit the coaches. The girls did drills, drills, drills. And their coaches who took them to camp were supposed to really be the ones benefitting.

My daughter did TOPs. The training is extremely beneficial to the gymnast, mostly strength and flexibility. The skills training was useful, but much more advanced than many gymnasts are competing, age-wise. For instance, 8 year olds are doing Level 5-6, 9 year olds Level 7-8, and 10 year olds Level 9 skills ( ESP. At National testing). However, Going to the Ranch is a fantastic experience and my dd really enjoyed working with coaches down there.

However, the program is really meant to benefit the coaches. The girls did drills, drills, drills. And their coaches who took them to camp were supposed to really be the ones benefitting.

You need a coach. Why not just ask at the gym if they'd be willing to start a TOPS program? Coaches and owners can chime in, but I don't think that there are any major expenses for the gym - just the cost of the state test ($50 each) and any expenses if your DD goes to National Testing. They'd probably pass a lot (or maybe all) of those costs on to you anyway.
I think I will ask the gym!

Be careful what you ask for. JO is hard enough for 90% of gymnasts.
I know of a few people whose children attend gyms that do the TOPS training simply to make them better gymnasts. I think it can benefit the children who can handle it. My DD leaves the gym hungry for more each day. She has the flexibility down but the strength/conditioning aspect would really benefit her, I believe.

I know of a few people whose children attend gyms that do the TOPS training simply to make them better gymnasts. I think it can benefit the children who can handle it. My DD leaves the gym hungry for more each day. She has the flexibility down but the strength/conditioning aspect would really benefit her, I believe.
Sounds like TOPS would be great for your DD. There are so many benefits to participating in a well-run TOPS program that go beyond just the potential for making a national team.

If you look at the list of 2014 State Testing sites, it would appear that MOST states don't have any gyms with TOPS training. Unless I'm assuming incorrectly. I know that none of the gyms in my area offer it and it appears there aren't any at all in TN.
I don't know anything about Tennessee testing, but TOPS testing started in June and these are just the sites that are left to test (not the full list). Also, many gyms travel to a nearby state to test.

If you look at the list of 2014 State Testing sites, it would appear that MOST states don't have any gyms with TOPS training. Unless I'm assuming incorrectly. I know that none of the gyms in my area offer it and it appears there aren't any at all in TN.

I think that's a list of the testing sites and not the gyms that offer the training. I know I had found a list of gyms offering the training somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

^^tennessee might not have any programs either. I found a list of tops state managers (whatever that is!), and Tennessee doesn't have one. Interesting.

In Ca, TOPS is common.

Really, a gymnast should pretty much be doing everything already in the TOPS physical portion. Then it's just a matter of putting together the routines.

Which is the same to be said of the Future Stars stuff.

The only caveat is obviously the kids going to TOPS/Future Stars are your hotshots. Your rank and file gymnasts won't be up to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back