Parents Tough Week and Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
Hi! I have not been on too much this week. ALex has been home from practice all week with a fever. Luckily this was spring break so she did not miss any school! Next weekend is states so hopefully she can get strong enough again! Suprising what 1 week can do!!
The meet was alot of fun and alot of work!! THis was our hosted meet so all parents were supposed to help out in some way. I have found a new found respect for anyone annoucing awards! I did it for the first time and I sooooo butchered a couple of names!! I felt bad but I am sure this happens to them often!! Anyway on the the meet report!!

First up was beam! She fell on her first turn but the rest was the best I have ever seen her do!! No wobbles! Now that is a real accomplishment!!! 8.25 (with a fall)

Next was floor. Nice routine!! 8.75

On to vault - never will understand the scoring!! 7.95. Even our best vaulter has not broken a 9.0 this season!! Go figure!! And her vaults look perfect!! (too me at least)

Last was bars - her best event. All season she has scored high 8's and the last couple of meets has had 9's. She fell out of her kip (her grip twisted or something so she was not able to complete her front hip circle. The coach said she probably recieved a 1.2 total deduction on the routine. She ended up with an 8.1 even with the fall! I thought that was pretty darn impressive!!!

33.025 AA

Placed 3rd on floor and 6th AA.

THanks for reading and I will try to post a video at some point!!

Congrats to Alex for surviving the week and even being able to compete. It's so hard for the girls to put that smile on and compete when they aren't 100%.

As for the vault scores, of the 1st year 5's on my daughter's old team, there wasn't a single 9 scored all year either. The best vaulter got up into the 8.8 range, but just couldn't break the 9. Her old coach used to say, as long as the range of scores is consistent and the placement seems fair, don't sweat the score on that event. They'll be doing it for the next 2 levels anyway so they'll have plenty of time to get it right :)

Kathy had an issue with her grip at one meet this year... came off her fingers during her jump to high bar so she had to catch the bar, drop to the floor, put back on her grip, and have the coach lift her back up to the bar. Not sure how it happened since she pretty much has to pry them off her fingers after practice. How annoying when those fluke things happen during a meet! Sounds like overcame some obsticles to have a good, solid meet. Best of luck to her at States. Kathy has 2 weeks till hers.

Just to clarify ALex was not ill at the time of the meet. She became sick a couple days after and has stayed home all week. She had no fever yesterday so I let her go to open gym and she is very weak! She was ready to go home before open gym ended (which is NOT like her at all) She is supposed to go to practice today to make up for one of the practices she missed last week but I am not sure if she is stong enough yet for a full 3 hour practice. With states this coming weekend I know she needs to go to all the practices and the gym will not let her compete at states if she misses any practices the week of a meet. I am not sure what to do at this point.

I hope Alex gets back up to speed soon. Talk to the coach about missing practice. We have the same rule at our gym, but exceptions are made if a child is legitimitely sick. At our gym at least, the rule is more to keep kids from skipping practice for reasons other than illness.

OOOH I hope she feels better.....I would take her to practice and let the coach know she may need to leave early!! Of course only without a fever.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back