Coaches Training schedule

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are almost midway through our competitive season and I'm wondering what you're doing in practice. We're still trying to get in high numbers of hit routines. They're only hitting maybe 1 or 2 out of 3 and I feel that should be higher or is it ok for now and that will come later? Also, when do you do uptraining? When do you expect them to have all their skills for the next level? I have a group of level 4s and 5s right now but I'm interested in hearing about all levels. Thanks.

Hello! I'm not sure if you want replies from coaches or gymnasts, but I am a gymnast. We are just starting our competition season for optionals, first meet in 2 weeks!!! ai! But, our seasopn runs to the end of June, it's longer than most gyms. At the moment, we are working on finalizing routines, but also uptraining for most gymnasts. Our main practice set up is you have to stick 5 routines, make any corrections, and then you can either improve certain skills, or, if the coach decides, you can work new skills to put in your routines. So, overall, we uptrain when you have all of the skills you need consistently, or if a certain skill just isn't working and you want to switch it out for someting else, often for dance or something like that.(not really uptraining though). In our gym, you have all skills by the end of the summer, with a few exceptions due to injury or serious mental blocks that are overcome by meet season. If you want to compete a higher level later in the meet season, you usually have the skills by the beginning of meet season. Good Luck to your gymnasts! :)

Uptraining is done all summer, except for the 2 weeks before YMCA Nationals (for those girls who are going). Uptraining begins at the practice after District Championships. During the competitive season, we used to uptrain whenever there was at least 3 weeks until the next meet. We also WERE uptraining at Friday practices AFTER assignments were done... but that has changed. We had a level 7 uptraining Fulls on a Friday. Later in the evening, she went to show one of the parents a Half onto an 8 inch mat (the same mat she had been using). Well, she got injured. She tore a couple ligaments in her ankle and has a hairline fracture. This happened the day before a meet in Mid-November. She is out at least until mid-March. She will probably miss District Championships. This girl has been a National All Around Champion the last 3 years (L4-L6). She has already qualified for Nationals, so she will just have to work hard when she comes back. She still comes to practice and conditions and goes through mental routines.... But the day she got hurt, the HC decided that you could only uptrain during the season if you had scored a 36.0 or higher in a meet at your current level.

For those gyms that let you move up during the season, you would have to uptrain more... maybe after 5 HIT ROUTINES, if there is still time before rotating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back