WAG troubled back walkover on beam / Mental block?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

im competing level 5 this year so i dont need it just yet but my coach wants us to have it by the end of season to get to backhand springs! all the other girls have it on low beam! the thing is i terrified of them i can do it easily with spot on low beam my coach just puts her hand on my back to help but when i do it alone i get wide hands and dont get my hands on the beam :( !!!! so im afraid to get it spotted on medium beam or high! do you have any suggestions? stretchs , drills , practice ? i have a low beam at home to practice on but afraid to hit head ? im not sure if its a mental block or what? Please respond any help!!!!!!!:confused:

Hi! Ughh, I have been in your EXACT position a little while ago. Everyone on my team was doing back walkovers on beam and I was afraid to do mine without spot and was scared even with spot on high and medium beam. :mad: I was really frustrated, but after I switched gyms ( other reasons) my new coach gave me some tips to help me, and they worked! I'll give these to you now.

1) You might have already heard this from your coach, but try mental choreography. Basically, think of certain "words" that go with the skill as you do it. I know this sounds a little confusing, but it would work like this : (before skill) "you can do this" during ( "arms up" "raise leg" "bend back" "look for hands" "over" "finish." Basically, as you do the skill, you would say these words. If you practice with these, the skill becomes automatic in your mind.
2)I know you're a level 5 so you probably don't have the level 6 routine, but doing a movement right before the back walkover can sort of take your mind away from the skill and the fear. If you ha a routine, this would be plie plie, but you might have to thing of something.
3) Increasing your back flexibility can be really helpful, too. At the time,I had an injured back, so it wasn't very flexible. as my back got better and more flexible, the skill became much easier and less scary. So , stretching bridges and arch and backbends might help you.
4) lastly, when you practice on floor (or on your beam), don't just go/fall back, think of it as if you were on beam, and have your moment of concentration, mental choreography if you decide to try it, ect. and, if you trust your coach, just ask for a REALLY heavy spot and just go for it. I know you've heard this many times, but with bwo's it's really true! It isn't so scary. Good Luck, Hope I helped you!

I'm not a gymnast, but I chauffeur one regularly and have seen this issue a lot. Masii has some great suggestions, but primarily it seems just to be an issue of time and patience. Keep doing them on that low beam with or without mat stacks until you feel comfortable. It will come. You have lots of time, so don't get yourself too stressed about it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back