Gymnasts trying to start comp gymnastics at 12?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

livelaughlovesuni

Banned
Gymnast
Reaction score
Would it be possible to start competitive gymnastics at 12? I started gymnastics at 7 and did rec classes up til covid when I stopped. Then when I was 9 i did rec classes again and have been doing so for the past 4 yrs (age 12 rn) but I was never put on like a competitive team. I also did ballet for around 3 - 4 years and did competitive rythmic gymnastics for 2 yrs, so I am fairly flexible and strong. On floor I can do front handsprings, back walkovers, front walkovers, and all the other basic skills, but I am close to my backhandspring, I also can front tuck and back tuck on the tramp/into the pit. On bars I have pullovers, back hip circle, double back hip circle, squat on, and am close to my kip. On beam I have handstand, cartwheel, wendy, roundoff dismount, turns, and side handstand dismount. On vault I can do handstand flatbacks and front handspring over mats, not the actual table.

My daughter’s old gym had a girl with a similar background who started as a senior in HS! This was a very competitive DP/elite gym with an xcel program. They welcomed girls of any age into xcel. Your skills sound like they would have you join silver at some gyms and gold at others.

You can start gymnastics at any age. I know many girls on my team who started around your age, and are better than me now (Im an xcel gold/platinum and this will be my 8th year competing)

You totally can! I did pre-team when I was little like 6 and 7, then quit, did a rec class in 5th grade, quit again, and then I joined an Xcel team at 13 in 8th grade. I did Xcel Silver in 8th grade and Gold my freshman year before I quit because of medical issues so I switched to coaching and eventually just quit that too because my body couldn't take that anymore either.

TL;DR You can never be too old to start gymnastics! I would look for a gym with a strong Xcel program!

Definitely go for it. I did rec gymnastics and gymnastics-adjacent sports as a kid and started on team when I was 13. Xcel didn’t exist back then but I really wish it had because it would have been absolutely perfect for me! Find a gym with an Xcel program with girls your age.

you could definitely be an Xcel silver, one you can do a dismount from the high bar and get your fhs over the table you can qualify for gold/platinum

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back