Tumbling on hard floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi I'm a cheerleader and I want to impress the crowd by tumbling during football games, but I'm scared of throwing handsprings on hard floor, even though it's pretty much the same thing as doing it on a regular floor. Does anyone have any suggestions how to throw them on hard floor without chickening out? Thanks!

Are you going to be in tennis shoes. when i tumble i do step outs. so like bhs step out bhs step out back tuck.

Well I'm not a cheerleader, so it sounds incredibly dangerous to me...:p But having wrist supports might help. Tumbling on a hard surface is tough on your hands! Could you maybe put a mat on the track at first to get used to it, and then get a thinner mat, and then go for it? Might help with the fear, if you can do it.

Thanks but I've already been practicing with a mat, and I'm still too scared. Don't worry, it's not dangerous my coach let's us and there are girls on the team who do back tucks on it. Does anyone else have advice on how to get super used to them and just go for it? It's back handsprings that I'm scared of, I actually did front handsprings on the track the other night but it looked awful compared to the girls who did back handsprings. It's not tough on their wrists.

Thanks but I've already been practicing with a mat, and I'm still too scared. Don't worry, it's not dangerous my coach let's us and there are girls on the team who do back tucks on it. Does anyone else have advice on how to get super used to them and just go for it? It's back handsprings that I'm scared of, I actually did front handsprings on the track the other night but it looked awful compared to the girls who did back handsprings. It's not tough on their wrists.

...Yea just because your coach "lets you" doesn't mean it's a great idea.... But if you really want to get over it, going for it is the best way. But sometimes fear is rational! :eek: (Seriously I'm not a cheerleader, but tumbling on something hard scares me... For a good reason!)

If you are not comfortable tumbling on a non gym floor surface, then just don't.

I was a cheerleader, and I did tumble on the track, turf, basketball court, and auditorium stage, but all I ever did was round off multiple back handsprings. Even when I was a level 7 and could do layouts over my coach's head at practice over and over again I did not do a back tucks for cheerleading because I did not feel comfortable with it on a non foam/spring floor. There is no mind trick to tumbling on an unusual surface, only pure confidence in your tumbling abilities.

But I really want to impress the crowd. I'm seriously confident with back handsprings, I've been doing them for 4 years, I've just never tried them on hard floor before. Any advice?

Have someone full on spot you on the hard surface. Then lessen up the spot each go until you do it yourself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back