WAG Unable to pike ..training level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jlogym

Proud Parent
My 9 year old is currently training level 7 and also working level 8 skills. Coach recently had a talk with me that DD will not be able to go any further with level 8 skills because she is unable to touch her toes. Dd has always struggled with flexibility she only got her good leg split about a year ago and she also has very tight calf muscles. She stretches at home all the time but nothing seems to really work or the progress really minimal. Is it possible for her to compete past level 7 without this flexibility? Any one else have similar experiences?

I agree with sce. There may be something structural going on.

But having said that, I am not sure why she couldn't continue up the levels. Her form might suffer a little but a good coach should be able to work her skills and routines to avoid the pike. the coaches may be looking for perfection or may only train a certain set of skills and if your Dd can't achieve it, she won't move up. Another gym may not be as stringent. I would try to sit down with the coach to see exactly what type of skills he/she feels Dd won't be able to do and question substitute skills. In the end, it may be that the lack of flexibility might hinder her too much but I would be looking for more answers from the coach and checking medical side before accepting it.

I just noticed you gave her age. A 9 year old level 7. She obviously has talent. Is she isn a super competitive gym?

I agree with the poster who recommended going to see a PT. Also a dance class that focuses on flexibility and technique (or even some private lessons with a dance teacher may help.) But only after you get her cleared first to make sure it is just tight muscles and not something else causing her lack of flexibility. My dd also has tight hamstrings and calves but that's something we've been able to work on at home with some stretches.
It would really bother me that the coach is ready to give up on your NINE year old child. A 9 year old L7 is obviously a talented kids. Some kids that age struggle with strength, and some struggle with flexibility. It would be different if she wanted to give her another year at L7 to work on flexibility, form and body positions before moving on to L8 (in truth that may be a good decision) but to completely stop working higher level skills altogether? That makes me sad for your dd. :( Instead of just giving up on her altogether, she should be helping to come up with an action plan for your dd to continue her progress.

If you can travel to Boston contact Dave Tilley - if not he can probably recommend someone else. Start with foam rolling and massage not aggressive stretching.

to the OP, have nothing to add with tightness ( my DD is the other way, hypermobile), but maybe its linked to the speed of her progression. I'm not 100% sure on US levels but from what I have read here to go from Level 3 last year to level 8 this year is a massive jump, maybe her little body is saying its having trouble keeping up ?

I hate when coaches make blanket statements like this. It's ludicrous really.

My daughter heard many statements like this. She didn't have the flexibility or power to get out of compulsories. No flexibility in her shoulders, she'll never do giants. She'll never flip a vault... Blah blah blah... :mad:

Last year she competed her first year of 10 in 8th grade. Sometimes coaches are just plain wrong.

My daughter can hardly do a pike stretch. The "no power" kid uses her uber power to compete a nice open double pike on floor. She can't do a pike down on bars, but she's worked out how to step down into the pike so she can do uphill, toe hand, toe full, etc.

So yes, make sure there aren't any structural issues, but if there aren't, find a coach who doesn't write off a 9 year old. Find one who will work outside the box and coach what she can do instead of lamenting what she can't do.

Thanks for your replies. I will try to find a PT for her. As for her gym it is not super competitive but they do like the girls to do well. This was the bars coach I think they were working on toe on? And toe shoot? All the girls do the same bar routines so I guess she has to have these skills to compete level 8. She does still have time the plan is for her to compete 7 this year but basically the coach made it sound like she needs to get pike stretch or she can't go any further. From your replies maybe I should look into another gym if this is really their stance .

I wouldn't give up on the gym or coach just yet, from just one conversation. Things sometimes get taken out of context. Have a plan - visit a PT with experience with athletes (doesn't have to be specific to gymnastics, but that would be great). Make sure muscles, tendons, joints, spine are all ok. May need a visit to an ortho as well but I would go PT first, if you can. Then have a sit-down with the coach about it all and try to come up with solutions. If you other wise like the gym and she is happy there, it is better to try to resolve it in house then just automatically switch. Your dd may just be the gymnast that opens their eyes to the need to expand their horizons on skills based on the gymnast's strengths and weaknesses. If the meeting goes no where, then it's time to look around.

Gymgal, I definitely second your advice of talking to the gym, but- you would be surprised at how limited coaches can be when it comes to unusual flexibility cases. (Sorry coaches!!! Not all of ya!)
Inflexible kids can be hurt easily during stretches and coaches are afraid of pushing too much.
The real reason is that gymnastics stretching is very different from PT stretching. It takes twice as long and is much LESS painful.
Unless the gym has a coach that is particularly sensitive to this aspect, you won't get too far. ESPECIALLY With the Hamstrings!
Maybe try Easyflexibility.com.......they are really good for at home stretching but it must be guided......

Gymgal, I definitely second your advice of talking to the gym, but- you would be surprised at how limited coaches can be when it comes to unusual flexibility cases. (Sorry coaches!!! Not all of ya!)
Inflexible kids can be hurt easily during stretches and coaches are afraid of pushing too much.
The real reason is that gymnastics stretching is very different from PT stretching. It takes twice as long and is much LESS painful.
Unless the gym has a coach that is particularly sensitive to this aspect, you won't get too far. ESPECIALLY With the Hamstrings!
Maybe try Easyflexibility.com.......they are really good for at home stretching but it must be guided......
I was only saying that the parents should get all the info possible from a PT and maybe Dr for structural limitations and then see if the coaches are willing to change skills that avoid the need for the pike position. There are many comparable skills for her to train that don't involve that pike position. The real question is whether all the high level tumbling will put her at higher risk for torn hamstrings/tendons etc. And only an experienced PT/DR with knowledge of gymnastics will be able to answer reliably.

If you have a Rhythmic gym in the area see if she can join them for thier stretching sessions. That is what we did for our daughter as she has high tension version of CP. They did wonders for her. Problem was, she decided to compete it and Artistic at the same time. She ended up getting third place at rope and fifth place AA at Nationals.

its a problem, but I currently have a level 9 who cannot touch her toes. :) However her skills are extremely limited particularly on bars, so making level 10 will be extremely difficult, (like it already isn't)...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back