Parents Update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So daughter finished states last week and now I am basically waiting to see what she wants to do about continuing with gymnastics because she is undecided. I am expecting a drama free week for her to go back to gym this week start working on new stuff without the added pressure of competing. On the other hand I am thinking she could just say I am done why do I still need to go to practice. Nothing seems to be that simple!
So she goes to practice all week complains about her heels hurting but does not refuse to go. So I am thinking just give her a couple of weeks to decide and she can make her decision before summer. Then Friday I drop her off and when I come to get her she tells me I want to stay for open gym so I am like okay. After I pick her up she breaks down crying saying her coach hates her (this was the coach that she really likes). So I am baffled if she had such a bad time at practice why did she want to stay for open gym.
I am not sure at this point if I should just say take a week or 2 off. Anyway I decide to talk to the owner/head coach. She decided she needs to talk to daughter herself about what she wants then will get back to me. Basically she feels she is in alot of pain in her heels and now her wrist again, she wants her to come to the gym and just condition for 2 weeks and then she needs to decide. She feels that she still likes gymnastics but she does not like the pain she is experiencing. She said she is very unsure of what she wants to do a this point. She wants me to basically stay out of it and let daughter decide what she wants because she feels strongly that daughter needs to make the decision of what she wants and she wants her decide for the right reasons. She told me do not discuss it with my daughter let her talk to her in 2 weeks and find out what she wants. I am grateful how she is handling this but as a parent it is hard to stay out of this. But deep down I do feel like she has her best interest at heart. I think she only wants her to continue if daughter wants to be there she seemed very understanding of the situation, I quess she can see how both daughter and I are struggling with this decision. There have been so many girls leave the gym that I feel she has alot of experience with these situtations. I am sure if daughter said to her I do not want to do this anymore she would not have encouraged her to take 2 weeks to decide. I was surprised that she mentioned she was annoyed by daughters coach letting her compete last week at states after she hurt her foot, she was not at the gym when it happened. I think part of the problem is daughters coach was pushing her and daughter was still hurting but afraid to say anything plus daughter had her heart set on competing states.
So anyway daughter just conditioned at practice yesterday and seems to be in better spirits today. She is mad at me for going to the headcoach but I am glad I did. I have been trying to avoid talking to her about it since that is what headcoach wants but it is hard. I never realized how difficult it could be making a decision whether to continue or not escpecailly when daughter refuses to come out and say she is done. Hopefully the situation will be resoved in 2 weeks since head coach told her she needs to come to a decision then.

It must be so hard to make a decision to do or not do something that has been her passion and her life for years, yet is causing her so much pain. And I'm sure it's hard for you not to weigh in... after all, by necissity, you're wrapped up in her gymnastics too. I bet you have dear friends who are parents of her teammates who you may not see any more. I know these are the things I'd be thinking of if it was my daughter. But if she decides to quit, it doesn't mean it's forever (just like if she decides to stick with it, it doesn't mean forever either). She may find she misses it horribly, or she may find something that she loves just as much that doesn't hurt quite so much! Good luck to both of you through these next couple of weeks. Let us know what she decides! We'll be thinking of you both!

So I almost got through the first week but it is not easy. Daughter seems better but I wish she would stop doing handstands and making up floorroutines around the house. She also keeps talking about her teammates new routines that they are working on. Daughter has not talked about any other sport besides gymnastics all week. I thought about all the new things she will be able to try and was starting to actually look forward to things like having free weekends and stuff. I know I will miss the other gym parents but we can visit and if she does other sports I will actually have more parents to sit with at games instead of sitting by myself at meets which I have done quite a lot this year. I feel like a week has gone by and I still have no idea what daughter wants so hard not to bring it up. I just hope the headcoach can help her come to a decision.

I know one of the issues your dd was dealing with was the heel pain and some in the wrist. Right now with only doing conditioning she probably is not having much pain so she's not taking that into consideration. This is a big decision for a young girl to make. I guess my question would be, would she still be this excited around the house if she was doing normal work outs and having increased heel pain? The HC while meaning well, may be forcing her into a choice when she's feeling better, but as we all know that heel pain can flare up once she goes back to full practices. Nobody can predict when that will end. Your dd has certainly dealt with it for a long time.
I would talk with the HC about not forcing a decision until dd has a chance to come back to full practice. That way she'll know how her body does feel and if its worth pushing through the pain.
My guess is this was brought up before in a post when your dd had been "on the fence" about continuing gymnastics. Is there a prep opt program or rec league that she could go to. It would be fewer hours with less pounding and would allow her to try a few other activities as well.

This will be one of the first, hardest decisions your DD has had to make. She has put a lot of time, energy and pain into this sport and I'm sure she does not want to give it up, but once the heel pain starts back (and it probably will), she will be right back having to decide if it is worth it all and at that point maybe the decision will be easier on her. You have to realize that gymnastics is also a social network, so having to leave that behind may also be a factor. I think the HC is on the right track asking you to try to just support her and not help her decide as you really want it to be her decision, otherwise she may regret it later. Keep your chin up and know that everything will be alright, no matter what decision she makes. Good Luck to her whatever she decides.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back