WAG USAG TOPs 2000 note to gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I saw it yesterday. Not sure what to say, they thought he was a good guy, they were wrong.
I think the point they're trying to make though is that this was AFTER allegations against him had already been reported to USAG. (If I'm reading the post correctly, could be wrong)

Even so, I think I can see why they asked the gymnasts not to contact their personal coach, maybe they thought it would cause too much confusion?
I also see how that raises a red flag...if something is wrong, and they are there miles and miles away from their parents, their coach is the closest person to them they have there, they should have the ability to contact them if they want to.

It was 17 years ago. It no longer matters.

He was part of the organization in a place high trust. Many balls were dropped. Turns out he is a nasty dude and he is now gone.

It was 17 years ago. It no longer matters.

He was part of the organization in a place high trust. Many balls were dropped. Turns out he is a nasty dude and he is now gone.
I'm highly aware of how long ago it was, but I hardly think that "no longer matters".... but I asked for opinions, so there we go :)

I'm not even sure what my "opinion" is on this even

I think the point they're trying to make though is that this was AFTER allegations against him had already been reported to USAG. (If I'm reading the post correctly, could be wrong)

Even so, I think I can see why they asked the gymnasts not to contact their personal coach, maybe they thought it would cause too much confusion?
I also see how that raises a red flag...if something is wrong, and they are there miles and miles away from their parents, their coach is the closest person to them they have there, they should have the ability to contact them if they want to.
I think (obviously, they still trusted him) that if it was a MEDICAL problem with one of the girls in the room, you call the doctor… if it was another type of problem, you call the lady listed next or a USAG staff person. If the personal coaches were "enjoying" the nightlife after gymnast lights out, you may not want the gymnasts contacting them.

Maybe they should have had a policy for the gymnast to call a female staff member who could then involve other staff as required, especially at night.

Yes, very odd that the first person young girls were supposed to call at night was a man. Our Girl Scout camp does not permit males in the cabin areas at night, ever. There really should have been a female staff member (preferably two) immediately available to the girls in person at all times, without their having to "call" anyone.

I saw it yesterday. Not sure what to say, they thought he was a good guy, they were wrong.
Even so, why have a man be the contact at a camp for little girls? TOP is the precursor to TOPS right? So 8-10yo girls. They should have multiple female chaperones in the hotel. Sounds like too much freedom to me, along with the male doctor being the person they were told to call.

I think (obviously, they still trusted him) that if it was a MEDICAL problem with one of the girls in the room, you call the doctor… if it was another type of problem, you call the lady listed next or a USAG staff person. If the personal coaches were "enjoying" the nightlife after gymnast lights out, you may not want the gymnasts contacting them.
If this was the case, the female chaperone should call the doctor and stay in the room!

Maybe they should have had a policy for the gymnast to call a female staff member who could then involve other staff as required, especially at night.

"If you or anyone in your room Has a problem at night (or anytime), please call Dr. Larry Nassar, Debbie Van Horn or a USA Gymnastics staff person. Please do not call your personal coach"

There was. They had multiple people to call, Debbie Van Horn for instance. I am ABSOLUTELY NOT trying to defend Larry Nassar or USAG in this scandal, but just know the girls did have a choice on who to call. I doubt how many of them actually called Nassar...

the girls did have a choice on who to call. I doubt how many of them actually called Nassar...

These are kids between 8 and 10 years old. Many kids that age take instructions very literally and would start out by calling the first person on the list. It doesn't matter how many of them actually called anyway--the fact that they were directed to call a man who at this point may have had allegations made against him is the problem.

These are kids between 8 and 10 years old. Many kids that age take instructions very literally and would start out by calling the first person on the list. It doesn't matter how many of them actually called anyway--the fact that they were directed to call a man who at this point may have had allegations made against him is the problem.
Yes, but the parents also got this letter (I think) and they probably knew of the alligations against Nassar. Wouldn't they have warned their daughters, or were the alligations not yet public?

Isn't the 2000 Olympics when the incidents occurred with Dantzcher? When were the first allegations against him? As a parent, my kids go to a male pediatrician - I don't think I would've been concerned about a male doctor being on the list of emergency contacts.

If this was the case, the female chaperone should call the doctor and stay in the room!
I agree. But in a severe medical emergency, I would have called 911 or a doctor first… then the lady right after.
They had a choice of people to call. The doctor was just the first listed - it doesn't mean he would be the first called.

"If you or anyone in your room Has a problem at night (or anytime), please call Dr. Larry Nassar, Debbie Van Horn or a USA Gymnastics staff person. Please do not call your personal coach"

The problem is more simple, why would a young girl not be calling her coach? Why would she call someone she is unfamiliar with? Why were parents refused access? Stop little girls should not have to worry about calling anyone. A parent or chaperone should have been in the room!

He is guilty of terrible things. He has had ultimate access for more than 17 years. I speculate the numbers of atrocities are too high to count. Monsters such as this man gravitate to places of access. USAG dropped the ball, now let the organization attempt to make the nesessary adjustments. Should those actions fail time for a new organization!

I understand the need to make these gymnasts responsible and mature. I get that some parents, many really, are far too self involved. But as a teacher, I have to say these TOPS aged gymnasts are babies, 8-10 yo. The Only way to keep them truly safe is to have them travel and stay with parents. Had my child done TOPS, I would NEVER let her travel with just her coach no matter how much I trust him and her. She is My child, and my responsibility is to keep her safe. I always shutter at the thought of how blindly some parents act. Nassar is eye opening, but he is not by far the only one of his kind. My eyes are Always open.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back