Visual Feedback

• Thread starter Stretchsportguy
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Stretchsportguy

What is your take on visual feedback? Are you for it? Or against it? Do you use it at your gym? What is your experience?

Plug a standard video camera that every gym has lying around (doesn't need to be expensive), plug it into the "Video In" part in the back of a digital video recorder, and then plug a TV into the recorder's "Video Out".

Using a preferred TiVo brand recorder you fool it into thinking the "Live TV" function is a television broadcast, when in fact it is the live image being sent from your camera. Now, you have the ability to record every practice turn without missing anyone! Plus, you can use the inherent features offered by TiVo to benefit your practices like "Instant Replay", "Slow Motion", "Frame by Frame Advancement", "pause", etc....

These features really help when you're trying to explain something to a kid who says he understands what you're saying, and yet he continues to do it wrong. We all know these kids. It's not their fault though. They can't "feel" it kinesthetically".

People learn more efficiently when they can see themselves performing a skill.

This concept is nothing new. However, the timing between the performance of the skill in practice and the provision of visual feedback, historically speaking, has been too long or too inefficient. We've all done this............................bring a video camera into practice, record one kid, stop the recording to show the kid his turn, watch it with him to provide verbal feedback, then restart the recording, etc.... This is slow, inefficient, and therefore not used widely.

The TiVo fixes all of that! It is a computer so it never stops recording. Therefore, you can stick the camera on an event/practice station, and let it go! Each kid can go to the TiVo, rewind to find his or her turn, view it in slow motion, pause it on the trouble areas, then go right back and take another turn. But the most beautiful thing about the TiVo is that during the time when the first gymnast was viewing his or her turn on the monitor, the TiVo never stopped recording. So, the next gymnast in line could record his or her practice turn while the person before him or her was watching his turn.

That's why it works so great. It's so simple!

With a four channel digital video recorder it is possible to position cameras at 4 different locations on one event. Set this up on vault for example, and place a camera where a judge would typically sit, to see that vantage point. Place another camera very close to the board to see exactly frame by frame where the best vaulters contacted the board, and then place the other 2 cameras on the run and the landing areas in order to study those aspects of the event as well. This tactic renders a lot of understanding about each gymnast, and certainly is VERY helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dd is a very visual learner. She gets a lot of skills by watching other gymnasts. So, I often videotape her private lessons with my camera that has a video playback mode (reg speed and slow motion). Her coach LOVES this! When she was learning her kip, this method worked well because it showed her what she was doing wrong and what she needed to do to correct it. Sometimes it takes my dd "seeing the skill done" before it totally clicks with her and she understands it. Visual feedback is a great tool for my dd.

Unfortunately, our gym doesn't have a TV setup like you described in your post Stretch.

My dd's diving team uses this all the time for every level class/team.

DD finds it very helpful:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back