Parents Well *that* was an adventurous first day of team camp....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

.....that ended in a trip to the pediatrician, the urgent care radiology, and the orthopedist.

She has a distal radius AND an ulna fracture. She's now the proud owner of a purple cast which is, thankfully, fully waterproof (hallelujah for still being able to go to the pool!)

Thankfully, she has no memory of it actually happening (on a running skip cartwheel) - she doesn't even remember the doing the skill. Her last memory is of doing a handstand kickover - and she remembers doing that successfully, so she was a little confused as to how she was hurt.

When the ortho asked her if she had any questions, she said "When can I go back to practice?" :eek:

She's a nut! I told her she should take a day off (let the swelling come down a bit) and she can go back to camp on Thursday. That was moderately satisfactory to her LOL!

My 8 yr old both the distal radius and ulna Easter weekend while roller blading. She has been cast & brace free now for a couple of weeks. I hope your DD heals quickly.

Best wishes for dd to heal quickly. I'll bet she'll enjoy showing off her purple cast(kids are funny that way).

I hope the rest of the summer is rather uneventful for all of you:)

so sorry to hear that!! Hoping she heals quickly...probably is a good thing she doesn't remember it. Kids heal so fast, though, esp. the youngest ones. When my ds broke his arm, he only had to wear a cast for 3 weeks!!

Oh no!! Poor baby :(. That has got to be so tough especially since she just started the team recently. Hopefully she will heal quickly!!!!

My dd broke her wrist recently. The advice of her doctor was to keep her out of the gym completely until her cast came off and then a little more time after that. I listened and she suffered no ill effects and pretty much picked up where she left off. Be careful about taking her back into the gym before she is healed. My dd is the same age and level. I am so sorry that she is hurt and I hope she heals up quickly.

Sending quick healing vibes our way! Thank God for waterproof casts!

Sorry to hear that. I hope she recovers quickly and can still enjoy herself at camp. At least she seems relatively unfazed by it all. Only makes me more nervous about letting my DD go to her first sleep-away camp in a couple of weeks.

Don't worry! :)

Sorry to hear that. I hope she recovers quickly and can still enjoy herself at camp. At least she seems relatively unfazed by it all. Only makes me more nervous about letting my DD go to her first sleep-away camp in a couple of weeks.

My 10 year old is at her first sleep away camp and is LOVING it! :) It has been a great time! Your dd wil be fine!

Oh, geesh! My dd just healed up from a slip in the shower that resulted in a gash above her eye and 7 stitches...her main concern when it happened was when she'd be able to go "full throttle" at practice :)

Best of luck to her to heal quickly and problem free!

I'm sorry about the injury, but it sounds like she is taking it well. Thank goodness for the waterproof cast. I wish my kids had those. Sending healing fairies.

MamaofEnS

Update!

Thank you, all, for the well wishes for her!

I should clarify - she has been given clearance by the ortho to return to practice (and camp last week) as long as she felt up to it. The ortho is familiar with our gym and knows the coaches are strict about keeping conditioning and training appropriate when an injury is involved.

She did return to camp for the last two days and spent a lot of time on tramp and beam, as well as working on flexibility. She, apparently, has mastered her split leap :D

She's doing well and definitely isn't letting it slow her down. Gym, pool, sprinkle park, slip and slide.

As a fellow gym mom said "What. You didn't really think she'd sit home and let herself heal, did you??" I couldn't help but laugh - these tumble monkeys are a breed unto themselves! I've never met another child (outside of her teammates) that is so self-driven!

Hope the sleep away campers have a great week - and stay injury free!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back