Parents What do your kids eat?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

krisnkids

Proud Parent
I am wondering what everyone feeds their gymmies before/after workout, meets etc. I used to be so dilligent about what my gymmie ate and I have since slacked off. We are trying to come up with a good diet plan for her (not diet as in loose weight, but diet as in what they are consuming) and could use some ideas.

We homeschooling and have changed our schedule so that we have a hot late lunch about 1.5 hrs before start of practice. It is always a good mix of carbs and protein: tacos, pasta meatballs, chicken rice. You get the idea. Then dd takes 2 carb snacks for practice and car ride home. The snack in practice is new this year. Crackers, fruit, etc.

It depends on the day. Some days I have to take them straight to practice from school and they will snack on cheese, hunter sausage, lunch meat rollups, yogurt, friut and crackers on the way. Other days we have a quick stop at home first and I like to give them egg white omlettees and friut. I like to keep hard-boiled eggs in the fridge at all times as that's a quick source of protien.

One of my daughter's does not have much of an appetite through the day so I like to cram her full of any source of protien she will eat!

I'm a teacher and when Bella gets to my room, she has to have a snack she can fix and eat in my classroom. I have a microwave, minifridge, storage, and use a hot plate when necessary.

Her favorites are trail mix, boiled eggs, beef jerky, microwaveable mac and cheese, sandwiches (ham/cheese, PB&J), raisins, and cuties.

my lil picky eater loves precooked bacon (which seems leaner than regular bacon) it is her fave gym snack.. we also do popcorn, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, nuts, kashi granola bars, but really all she wants is bacon, bacon, bacon!!

sounds yummy lol!
my lil picky eater loves precooked bacon (which seems leaner than regular bacon) it is her fave gym snack.. we also do popcorn, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, nuts, kashi granola bars, but really all she wants is bacon, bacon, bacon!!

Not only is my gymmie a picky eater, she also has food allergies so we are limited. After school/before gym -usually pasta, waffles, cereal, pizza or pizza bites, chicken nuggets. Gym snack during practice -pretzels, crackers, rarely banana. She has a full dinner after practice (protein, carbs, veggie).

My dd goes straight from her school program to the gym at noon. Most days are similar, this is what she has today: A container of macaroni and cheese to heat, carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes with ranch dip, yogurt, applesauce, goldfish crackers, mini babybel cheese, a banana, granola bar, container of strawberries.... I think that's all today. She will have a snack during school in the morning, eat some of the food at lunch and some of the food at break time mid-afternoon.

She is usually starving once we get home around 6:30 and will have a good full dinner.

DD's gym has a nutritionist coming in tonight to give a talk. I'm interested to hear what she suggests. DD is approaching puberty, growing like a weed, and doesn't have time to go home between school and gym. I'm not the one to drive her to practice either, so anything I send with her really needs to be non-perishable. Even a lunch box with a cold pack is not too cold by 4pm if it was packed at 7am. For a while, she must have been going through a crazy growth spurt because she was packing AND buying a lunch at school. I could not feed her enough. But that has trickled off for the time being and she is not eating us out of house and home right now. Anyway, I agree that it is really easy to fall into pre-packaged processed snacks, even when you know they're not the ideal choice, just because their (and your) schedule is so crazy. If I get any good tips tonight, I'll let you know!

DD's gym has a nutritionist coming in tonight to give a talk. I'm interested to hear what she suggests. DD is approaching puberty, growing like a weed, and doesn't have time to go home between school and gym. I'm not the one to drive her to practice either, so anything I send with her really needs to be non-perishable. Even a lunch box with a cold pack is not too cold by 4pm if it was packed at 7am. For a while, she must have been going through a crazy growth spurt because she was packing AND buying a lunch at school. I could not feed her enough. But that has trickled off for the time being and she is not eating us out of house and home right now. Anyway, I agree that it is really easy to fall into pre-packaged processed snacks, even when you know they're not the ideal choice, just because their (and your) schedule is so crazy. If I get any good tips tonight, I'll let you know!

This is our situation too, so we don't get to make the best choices. On gym days I usually let DD buy lunch from the canteen so she gets something hot and a little more filling than what I could pack. She still also packs stuff that she eats at the earlier school break and after school. On the one day I do the school to gym run, I stop and buy Powerade and a snack for her and her friend. I prefer water as a drink, and they do get plenty of that at the gym, but with the amount of training they are doing now they claim that the Powerade helps. Maybe I'm just a sucker. ;)

We always have to drive straight from school to gym, so I have to be inventive about what they eat in the car.

Some days I'll do hot food in one of those little food flasks - baked beans and sausages, macaroni cheese or chicken noodles or something like that. Some days, if they've had a hot lunch, I'll just do a chicken sandwich.
Always at least one portion of fruit - banana, strawberries, raisins, blueberries, grapes or a mixture.
Often I put a few nuts - cashews or peanuts. For a treat it might be the honey coated ones.
Sticks of cheese.
Some times if I think there's not enough protein I'll do a homemade milkshake - just milk, fruit and vanilla extract.
Cereal bar.
Popcorn.

Usually it's a combination of a few of the above and then a cereal bar or rice cakes or something similar for afterwards.

Occasionally an iced bun or piece of brownie might fall in by mistake ;)

Thank you to everyone for your responses. Dd is 13, tall and very very skinny (5'4 88lbs), has a hard time digesting milk products and has an extremely high metabolism. She also goes straight from school to the gym, with me leaving work at the end of the day to pick her up and drive here there, she eats in the truck on the way. So life presents many challenges for her. I told her to write down a list of things that she would like to have for snack/dinner on the way to the gym so i can start getting them. She is pretty knowledgeable on what she can/should eat, its just a matter of getting her to eat it.

MaryA
I'd love to hear what the nutritionist says tonight.

My DD trains during the day so breakfast is key for her. Her favorite and most often made is a calorie packed protein shake I make (milk, a scoop of nutella, one banana, 2 scoops protein powder and a few chocolate chips:). Other mornings its the usual: fruit, waffles, yogurt, eggs/sausage..
Lunch is usually a turkey and ham sandwich with oil and vinegar and a side salad (creature of habit)
Dinner is whatever ends up on the plate that night, but it is her smallest meal usually.
Her favorite snacks are in-shell peanuts, nutella on anything, and tortillas with chicken and cheese heated in the microwave

My DD trains during the day so breakfast is key for her. Her favorite and most often made is a calorie packed protein shake I make (milk, a scoop of nutella, one banana, 2 scoops protein powder and a few chocolate chips:). Other mornings its the usual: fruit, waffles, yogurt, eggs/sausage..
Lunch is usually a turkey and ham sandwich with oil and vinegar and a side salad (creature of habit)
Dinner is whatever ends up on the plate that night, but it is her smallest meal usually.
Her favorite snacks are in-shell peanuts, nutella on anything, and tortillas with chicken and cheese heated in the microwave

Have you ever read the amount of sugar in Nutella? SCARY!!

I guess I'm a bad mom, lol. Her practice is immediately after school, so she usually has a snack from the machine at school on the way to the gym. By the time practice is over it is time for dinner. I do try to fix a healthy meal for them at that time, but her pre-gym snack usually ends up being potato chips or something similar. :rolleyes:

Super scary! There is an all-natural brand of chocolate hazelnut spread called Justin's that has much less sugar than Nutella. It is sold at Target and our local grocery chain in jars and single-serve packets. My picky eater loves it despite the fact that it isn't too sweet. The only drawback is that it is ridiculously expensive.

YUP and that is why we include it in the shake. She builds muscle no problem but her body fat is too low unless we calorie pack her. Her doctor said the sugar in the morning would be a balanced source of energy with the other ingredients in the shake and we want the calories.

I am not against sugar in moderation for my children, so I find nutella to be okay. Thank you for letting me know though, I know there are parents who are unaware of what they feed their children.

Food is a giant issue for my gymnast daughter. The other eats everything. My DD is so picky and eats almost nothing but carbs. She will not eat meat of any kind, any dairy products, nuts and not even many veggies. She hates everything and is one of those people that doesn't care much for food. (She did not get this from me!!!) So if you say you are getting nothing else unless you eat this chicken she will just choose not to eat. She eats mostly fruit, bread, crackers etc. It's a constant struggle. And she doesn't like foods together. So even though she does like peanut butter she won't eat it on crackers or bread. Finding her something to eat before gym is a problem. After practice she usually doesn't eat much of at all.

She will eat plain potatoes (don't dare put anything on it) plain noodles in broth, etc. everything has to be plain. Not the easiest stuff to take in the car.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back