what is the student to coach ratio for level 7-9 at your gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipmom1

Coach
Proud Parent
My dd's gym combines all of the optional levels (7-9) into one group. Currently there are 14 girls for 1 coach. The gym acts like this is a standard coaching ratio especially for summer. They said that people usuallly go on vacation or miss a day here and there so the number is always 14 to 1 so why add a coach. The parents want to hold a meeting with management but we want so "industry" information to back us. What is the policy or standard at your gym.

We have levels 8-10 combined. There are 10 girls and 2 coaches.

The "training" level 7's have 6 girls and 2 coaches.

That is all one group for us and that is about 12 to 2 or 3 depending on the day of the week.

At our gym, we have the 6, 7, 8, and 9's together and when they're all there there's 8 girls and 1-2 coaches depending on the day. We're a very small gym! But the level 5's have 15 girls and 2-3 coaches. :)

I'm a little confused - is it 14 max if they were all to show up (probably not in the summer), or is an average of 14 everyday accounting for those on vacation? I think they need a little better advance planning to account for the numbers week to week of how many kids to one coach there will be, but if there is a fairly lax time off policy in the summer then it probably could well be true that it will be an average of 10 girls per day, which I would say is about the high end of the acceptable ratio for that level/age. Smaller (maybe 1 to 8 or 9) would be ideal especially because it would give more ability to spot turns before getting tired, for example, but 1:10 isn't unheard of at that level.

One time I was in a group about that high of a ratio (higher, even), due to a coaching "emergency" of sorts where someone left before they could be replaced, and it took several months to find someone. There were some other coaches sort of in and out, but primary responsibility was falling on one person for all levels 8-10. It worked out fine because we had a very good coach, but it was very stressful for the coach. We all got our skills but it wasn't ideal. I wouldn't say at any point practice was unsafe, because the coach simply didn't allow that to happen, and it was very productive compared to lots of gyms I've seen. However I worked with that coach as a beginning optional in a MUCH smaller group and her productivity was through the roof then (seriously, it cannot even be described how bad on bars I was before and then how good on bars I was after). So I guess in that sense, it's more of ideal vs safe. And a lot depends on how good the coach is, as always, because a more lax coach who doesn't have enough drills and conditioning ideas could allow unsafe or unproductive progressions to happen.

Also level 7 to 9 is basically a huge difference skill wise (esp if we're talking about kids just moving up from level 6). When I was in a larger group it was minimum second year 8 with basic level 9 skills (if not routines) and then 9s and 10s. Beginning level 7s would not have fit at all. But I have worked in a program that had to do that - group 7 to 9 (except much smaller ratio so totally different).

we have levels 6-10 together with about 13 girls but with injuries and other commitments, typically there are only about 10. Usually only 1 head coach. Sometimes an asst. coach if a lot of spotting is needed. If there are two coaches, they usually split the girls into 6,7 and 8,9,10.

Thanks,

There are a max of 14. 4 of the girls, my daughter included, are new level 7s (8 & 9 years old). Only 4 of the 14 girls are repeating thier level. The gym lost their head coach 3 years ago and never replaced him.

Thanks,

There are a max of 14. 4 of the girls, my daughter included, are new level 7s (8 & 9 years old). Only 4 of the 14 girls are repeating thier level. The gym lost their head coach 3 years ago and never replaced him.

Well if there is a lax time off policy in the summer (seems like it) I am going to venture that a lot of the time there will be an average of closer to 10 girls then. It's really the quality of the coaching that will matter, anyway. If there is no head coach, then I would be more concerned about that? Not really sure how to read that. It does seem a bit disorganized with the planning and accounting for who will be there at what times, but I don't think it's going to be the ratio that's the problem per se.

What is normal will vary greatly from gym to gym. 14 girls to one coach is not unreasonable. Especially if attendance is not 100%, a good coach can keep it all running smoothly, keep the girls active and make sure everyone is learning and progressing.

It would be lovely to have 5 or 6 girls to a coach, but often not practical. A gym is still a business and the business must make a profit or it closes down. Coaches must be able to earn a living or they can't coach. With the low fees per hour that team gymnasts pay this doesn't make it possible to have a super low coach:gymnast ratio.

Our club has 6 optionals- we usally have 1-3 coaches at each practice. It all kind of depends on there work scedules and what other levels have practice that night.

For our optionals we have three groups with 1 coach each (these are the groups all season and in the summer til september when we change the groups). Two of the groups have 10 and the other has 8. Our head coach doesn't have a group and just goes from group to group. On days when not that many of us come, especially in the summer whoever is there combine and we all work together with all the coaches. Sometimes though if a coach needs to leave early, (for example my head coach has kids who do other sports, and another one has a baby), they can and we still have enough coaches for everyone.

Plus our optionals have gotten very good at spotting one another, (especially in my group), not that we don't need coaches or anything but we definitely manage when we are short a coach or two.

If my gym had 14 kids we would probs get a second coach cause I think that is way past out limit, but I'm not the one in charge, so just making a guess. I don't think it would hurt to hold a meeting to talk it over, good luck with it.

follow up

USAG recommends an 8/1 ration for team girls and no more than 10/1 for class for safety.

Thank you.

Is there a link where usag states this? I couldn't find anything on their website? Is it info provided as part of their training certification?

When I was training L 7-10 we had one coach (sometimes two) for about 7 or so girls, 4 or 5 were L 7, then there was usually 1 or 2 8. Our gym usually didn't have 9s or 10s.

Thank you.

Is there a link where usag states this? I couldn't find anything on their website? Is it info provided as part of their training certification?

I was part of the safety training years ago. It was also in the part of the compulsory handbook that no one reads.
It was listed as a recommendation more than a rule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back