MAG What is the typical levels progression for a boy who will enter Future Stars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

emorymom

Proud Parent
DS is 6.5, and will compete L4 as a 6yo (six on Sept 1).

Our gym doesn't do Future Stars. If he enjoys competing this year as an L4, I'm now curious about whether I would want to advocate for it.

If he was going to test for Future Stars as an 8 year old, when would that typically need to be identified?
What does your training schedule look like for boys 7 who are training Future Stars (hours, skill levels)? What compulsory level are they competing at age 7? Do you add an additional training day for Future Stars if only some of your boys are training FS?

Every boy at our gym trains both, during regular workout. As regionals and nationals get closer, we might have a few workouts extra for the kids that are going to compete.

That being said, our coach does ask that the boys doing FS be there at least 4 days a week. That is about 10-13 hours a week. The kids only there 2-3 days a week do the FS routines, but they may or may not be ready to compete the routines.

They use the routines as warm-ups or as conditioning. sometimes they work them specifically. Usually in a workout they will start with either FS or base sets as warm ups, then stretch, then work FS and JO on the events.

DS does love the FS routines. He doesn't have his HB yet, but that will come i hope. He will be competing as a 9 yo this year.

ETA: My so competed level 5 last year and is working level 6. Not sure what he will actually compete this year.

DS is 6.5, and will compete L4 as a 6yo (six on Sept 1).

Our gym doesn't do Future Stars. If he enjoys competing this year as an L4, I'm now curious about whether I would want to advocate for it.

If he was going to test for Future Stars as an 8 year old, when would that typically need to be identified?
What does your training schedule look like for boys 7 who are training Future Stars (hours, skill levels)? What compulsory level are they competing at age 7? Do you add an additional training day for Future Stars if only some of your boys are training FS?

My son goes to an extra practice on Saturday mornings to get ready for FS. So he trains 5 days a week for a total of 14 hours. He has just turned 8 and competed level 5 last year. I don't know what level he will compete this year. 5 again if his skill aren't ready for 6, I guess. This is new to me and I don't know what to expect. He did fairly well (especially when pitted against those in his age group) last year, though the boys who were a couple of years older looked more polished to me . . . . .we'll see.

My son says the age 9 future stars routines are about the same difficulty as the level 6 with bonus's. Future Star age 8 routines are about level 5. He does his future star practice during regular practice. At level 5 he did 9 hrs a week, and at level 6 and now 7 he does 15 hours a week.

Lil Hawk Mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back