What setting for vault table

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
My DD is a, short for her age 8 year old L5. Her team all vaults on the same settings from the 8 year olds to the 13 year olds. They practice on 6 but set it for meet at a 3. She is struggling a little on vault. At meets I 've notice that other teams set the table much lower for the little girls. I am just curious what setting other L5 vault on.

Our shorties vault mostly on 1. I'm 5' 2" and I vault on 2 or 3. Our most powerful vaulters go on 3 or 4. Are you sure we're using the same system?

The height of the table is set by the coaches in USAG. In other countries, like here in Canada, the table height is set by the International Federation of Gymnastics and adopted by the local associations.

Therefore the height could be anywhere between 100cms and 140cms. You might want to ask the coach about this, as he/she obviously has a reason for the setting.

Our really tiny ones vault on 2, some people on 3, and i vault on 4 and i am 5'4. But when I was in level 5, I also vaulted on 4 and scored really high. I guess it just depends on how powerful the gymnast is.

I like the idea that you can set the vault at any height in the US, it would surely make things easier for our very small and very tall girls.

In Australia for level 7-10 the vault table must be set at 5. (125 cms)

For level 6 it must be either 4 or 5 (120-125 cms)

Level 5 between 2-5 (110-125 cms)

and for level 4 between 1-5 (105-125 cms ) level 4 go to flat back with mats stack up on the other side of the table to the height of the vault.

I start with the table somewhere between the upper rib cage and shoulders. The only real way to tell where the table should go if after the gymnast vaults. If the are getting the correct turnover with good form you can tell if the table is too high or too low then make adjustments. I have small kids that vault well high and big ones that vault better at a slightly lower setting. It all depends on the vaulter.

I start with the table somewhere between the upper rib cage and shoulders. The only real way to tell where the table should go if after the gymnast vaults. If the are getting the correct turnover with good form you can tell if the table is too high or too low then make adjustments. I have small kids that vault well high and big ones that vault better at a slightly lower setting. It all depends on the vaulter.

YOu should come and write the programme for Quebec!!! I like the way you think. We just get to watch tiny things fly at the vault in the vain hope they can get over!

It is set in the UK too. Funny though some tiny kids have no problem. They must run faster!

I am 100% positive that vault is 90% about the run and the angle of hitting that board, I have seen some tinies just fly.

Our toughest group is the regional 8-11's who have to vault at 115cm with a gymnova board. These are gymnasts that are really rec/comp and many of them just aren't runners. I'd love to see some flexibility in vault regs for this type of situation. The one size fits all approach doesn't really work that well with the lower level gymnast.

But you work with what you have eh?

YOu should come and write the programme for Quebec!!! I like the way you think. We just get to watch tiny things fly at the vault in the vain hope they can get over!

The funny thing is, one of my 4'2", 50 pound girls vaulted with the same springboard and table settings as another gym's 5'6" ,150+ pound girl and they both got about the same score :).

From what I've seen, speed is the smaller person's best friend on vault as stated above. My daughter really had to focus on her run and transitioning her speed into the board at the right angle since she was quite small when she was learning to get over the table. I've seen this in all of my smaller kids. Luckily we began training on the USAG level 4 vault system as if these kids planned on competing a front handspring tuck so most of them have gotten used to a fast turn over out of a good run. The only hard part after that is getting them used to the table.

bog, you already know my thoughts on the gymnova board. if they can get off that and over the table...well...those are some pretty good athletes.

bog, you already know my thoughts on the gymnova board. if they can get off that and over the table...well...those are some pretty good athletes.

Well about 90% of them did at the last meet! The other 10%, well that requires good spotting and the coaches nerves of steel. Many kids in the 8/9 group just scratched.

Quebec Gymnastics issued a memo in October saying that we could actually remove one spring from the grey gymnova board for the under 12 crowd. Then after four weeks of training like that they changed their minds back as gymnova said the board warranty would be voided.

SO back to trying to get some boing out of something that has no boing!

The Gymnova monopoly is ridiculous here, now even for small regional meets the only equip we can hire has to be from Gymnova! Cha CHing! The floor alone is $6000 for the weekend and that is with no installation.

My dd and her teammates (all Level A which is exactly like the USAG Level 5) vault on anywhere from 0-4 for the settings. Dani is about 4ft 7in and vaults anywhere from a 0 setting to a 2 depending on her day :rolleyes:. There is a girl on her team who is a bit shorter than her who vaults on a 4 and does quite well. So, I don't really think the height of the vault correlates to a better vault. It all depends on which height works best for each individual kid.

yes, this is partially true. ^^^ the problem in canada is that THEY MUST compete with the apparatus set at FIG. no exceptions. this means the table is at 125 or what is referred to "5" here in the US on an AAI vault table.

this is true for most of the other countries. the USAG junior olympic program is one of a kind. we can move the bars up and down and out and everything in between, move the table up high [7] or down low [1], raise and lower the balance depending on the age group, etc;

and bog, when i attend meets with the canadian girls, they are always complaining how it is not fair that we get to move the equipment and their coaches won't let them. i don't think most of the kids their know that it is a rule...and then when they learn they don't understand why are rules are different when it's all gymnastics to them. LOL.

Oh gosh we have to fill out forms to move the bars up or down, we can move them in and out a little though! My girls are always amazed when they see how low the vault table is in USAG videos! Even our L4 equivalent vault is at 115cm, quite a mountain of mats!

Oh gosh we have to fill out forms to move the bars up or down, we can move them in and out a little though! My girls are always amazed when they see how low the vault table is in USAG videos! Even our L4 equivalent vault is at 115cm, quite a mountain of mats!

LOL Bog! I just asked Dani and she said that she vaulted on 0 for the past 2 meets :rolleyes:. But, she got a 8.70 good enough for 2nd place so I guess whatever works for you!! LOL. If she had to vault on 4 as a requirement, I think we would be in trouble!!!

I won't tell if you don't. Baby Bog would be green with envy. She'd be a great vaulter at 1 or 2, the way it is now she can just get over.

I'd rather see a beautiful vault at any setting, then a scary vault at FIG!

I just uploaded her vault to youtube, so you can see what I mean.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back