WAG What would decertification mean for us?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I read the email/ letter outlining the demands and timeline that USOC gave USAG. I then read the USAG response. I have ZERO worries that USAG will not comply. ZERO. I know that you should never read tone in written communication, however the response of USAG read (to me) of a penitent, scared organization that will obey pronto. I had always felt this level of swagger in their prior communications but it seemed to be totally gone. No question in my mind, they will comply. Even if they don't, I have no worries- there is always a back up plan- USOC is not going to let gymnastics which is a hugely popular olympic sport disappear.

USAG will comply, but as has been already pointed out there will be so many lawsuits against USAG, that the odds are they will have to fold in the not too distant future.

I totally agree! My guess is that they will eventually be forced to file bankruptcy. The group will renamed. We will all be competing under a different name next year...

As far as being decertified - I don’t believe it would have an immediate impact on JO/Xcel programs because those programs don’t have any involvement with USOC events.

It would mean that the US would not be able to send a team to World Championships unless another governing body was created. But USAG could remain a non-Olympic org similar to AAU or USAIGC or JOGA (NJ only).

Long term could be different - as someone mentioned lawsuits could cause the organization to fold. However, the USOC will not allow a sport that the US is strong in disappear from the world stage - another national governing body would be created and in the long run, little will change for non-elite track programs.

The majority of us are mid-season and there are so many other things to be worried about - this is not one of them (obviously, if you have a child trying for elite, or who is currently on the national team, then this is a more pressing concern). But otherwise, enjoy the rest of the season!

It means the Elite calendar events would be put on hold or cancelled as they had to cancel the national team camp recently. So the elites who are not able to compete JO would lose out on their season until a new organization can take shape and take over. Its sad for the elite kids but necessary changes are needed to make it safer going forward.

That is not true. The elite qualifiers are still being held. The only thing that is unknown at this point is where the hopes classic meet will be held as it was supposed to have been at the ranch. But it's not until June or July and rumor has it that it's going to be held at valeri's gym in Texas.

Reactions: sce
Even if USAG is decertified by USOC, USAG can still select the team for World's, right? The only thing the USOC has control over is the Olympics--at least as I understand it.

That is not true. The elite qualifiers are still being held. The only thing that is unknown at this point is where the hopes classic meet will be held as it was supposed to have been at the ranch. But it's not until June or July and rumor has it that it's going to be held at valeri's gym in Texas.
I say again, it would be a huge injustice for WOGA (whether Frisco or Plano) to benefit from all of this by hosting another major draw meet when many of the activities that have been called into question are going on in that gym. Especially after Mattie Larson called him out by name, and Ohashi and Atler both have documented accusations. The meet should be held at a college locations somewhere central. Then again, I don't think USAG is done cleaning house yet, and if Valeri is gone, his gym may not be the end site for the Hopes Classic. Maybe Houston at World Champion's Center....but who says that just because the Ranch was in Texas everything has to stay in Texas?

The question was IF they get decertified. Currently everything is moving along as planned but IF they get decertified that may not be the case. USAG would lose the ability to sanction meets so the qualifiers may not proceed as planned.

Even if USAG is decertified by USOC, USAG can still select the team for World's, right? The only thing the USOC has control over is the Olympics--at least as I understand it.

I presume that would be up to FIG. And FIG has been pretty quiet about all of this as far as I know. Someone familiar with FIG policies for national team sanctioning might be able to chime in on this question.

I say again, it would be a huge injustice for WOGA (whether Frisco or Plano) to benefit from all of this by hosting another major draw meet when many of the activities that have been called into question are going on in that gym. Especially after Mattie Larson called him out by name, and Ohashi and Atler both have documented accusations. The meet should be held at a college locations somewhere central. Then again, I don't think USAG is done cleaning house yet, and if Valeri is gone, his gym may not be the end site for the Hopes Classic. Maybe Houston at World Champion's Center....but who says that just because the Ranch was in Texas everything has to stay in Texas?

Why have it a gym? Just rent a convention center type of place- like every other big meet in this country. I just don't understand why everyone assumes this stuff HAS to go to WOGA? I mean come on- rent a location like other meets do! For that matter, if they keep a semi centralized model, why would it have to be in Texas? Why not in Indiana where oh, USAG has its headquarters? Planes DO fly OUT of that state so I am sure that Valeri could hop on one that LEFT Texas too. I don't personally have a dog in this fight as that is not the path of my daughter- she is just a level 9, but I DO think it is time that people think outside the box in regards to how USAG should run things. Maybe Texas is NOT the answer? Maybe, just maybe somewhere in the other 49 states in this country they could put a lovely, modern, state of the art (for reals- like with CELL COVERAGE!! AND FOOD!) training center where it is easy to get to, easy for monitors inside and outside of USAG to have planned and unplanned visits, and easy for parents who maybe DO NOT trust USAG at present (or perhaps ever) to access. How about that? Somehow every time these discussions come up they always turn to "oh it will be at WOGA- its easiest for Valeri" and I am left scratching my head and wondering WHY we make it easier for the person who gets PAID to do the job. Lets make it easy for the ATHLETES and parents who send their kid there. JMO

They will comply , but should something happen a contingency plan is in the works. I suspect several
I have no doubt.

Bad for business and the Olympics is business. Gymnastics is business.

Why have it a gym? Just rent a convention center type of place- like every other big meet in this country. I just don't understand why everyone assumes this stuff HAS to go to WOGA? I mean come on- rent a location like other meets do! For that matter, if they keep a semi centralized model, why would it have to be in Texas? Why not in Indiana where oh, USAG has its headquarters? Planes DO fly OUT of that state so I am sure that Valeri could hop on one that LEFT Texas too. I don't personally have a dog in this fight as that is not the path of my daughter- she is just a level 9, but I DO think it is time that people think outside the box in regards to how USAG should run things. Maybe Texas is NOT the answer? Maybe, just maybe somewhere in the other 49 states in this country they could put a lovely, modern, state of the art (for reals- like with CELL COVERAGE!! AND FOOD!) training center where it is easy to get to, easy for monitors inside and outside of USAG to have planned and unplanned visits, and easy for parents who maybe DO NOT trust USAG at present (or perhaps ever) to access. How about that? Somehow every time these discussions come up they always turn to "oh it will be at WOGA- its easiest for Valeri" and I am left scratching my head and wondering WHY we make it easier for the person who gets PAID to do the job. Lets make it easy for the ATHLETES and parents who send their kid there. JMO

Agree.

I add further why shouldn't it be an open environment where parents and other USAG coaches could come and watch. Parents could feel safe and begin to treat camp just like an athletes home gym. USAG Coaches who attend could learn from watching the training and take those new skills home with them.

Can't wait for Valeri to be shown the door. Totally part of the problem.

Agree.

I add further why shouldn't it be an open environment where parents and other USAG coaches could come and watch. Parents could feel safe and begin to treat camp just like an athletes home gym. USAG Coaches who attend could learn from watching the training and take those new skills home with them.
The coaches already attended classes at the ranch when they came with their athletes. The ranch itself is not a bad place. Many, many gymnasts also went through it and had great experiences. The reason they didn't allow parents is for the same reason many gyms ban parents from watching--to avoid distraction. I know a lot of bad is being said right now, but there are also positive things about the ranch. I personally know a few gymnasts who went every month for 3 years and loved it. (very recently)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back