What's the deduction for kicking or stepping into the pullover at Level 3?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ac7179

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter can do her pullover when she kicks up with one leg, but is about 50% with it when she takes off from two feet. What's the deduction for stepping into it?

Work on chin-ups and leg lifts with her. My dd used to do this years ago when she first learned it. The prompt "chin-up... pull over" helped her correct it quickly. Have her go into chin up first-- the pull over. Not sure the deduction but this is a habit you want to get her out of asap!!!!

It all depends on exactly what they do. If they pull up then tap the floor, it's technically a fall. There could be deductions for the leg separation and usually comes with bent legs as well as flexed feet. It's fully possible to lose the entire value of the skill if it's done wrong.

Thanks for the replies. She just kicks up with one leg and the pushes or jumps to the chin up position while her legs are going over the bar. It's the way I did pullovers my entire career, but I knew the routine called for the chin up first, then over. She not quite strong enough for that to be consistent yet.

In level 4 it's .3 "failure to take off both feet simultaneously" - not sure about level 3, I don't see the specific deduction listed, so maybe it's just leg separation (up to .2, if she kicks into the pullover I'd assume the full .2). Not completely sure, I don't judge or coach level 3, but since that specific deduction (failing to take off simultaneously) isn't in the text, then I'd assume just leg separation deduction (and other form, bent legs).

A "step, hop, or extra jump" is .1 each according the level 4 text - I'd assume the same in level 3. If she is kicking then she might also be stepping is my guess. So possible to get another deduction there.

They shouldn't lose the entire value of the skill for this issue. Probably the only scenario I can see that happening is if the child kicks up but doesn't get over the bar, and then just jumps up. If they start on the floor and spin backwards around the bar and end up on top, they did a pullover, just with various execution deductions.

My DD does two little hops then pulls over. Her legs are together though. :) She's a brand new L3. I'll have to watch and make sure she loses this bad habit before it becomes too entrenched since it's a deduction. Thanks for the info :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back