Parents when did your dd get sweaty pits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not sure if they are actually "sweating" ... but my dd's starting needing deodorant for gym at 8 and 9, which I thought seemed young since they were no where near puberty.

Of the kids I coach I would say average is 10/11, young end is 8.

My daughter is 10 almost 11. She does not smell yet, but I have her wearing it anyway to gym. We had a girl one year that stunk up the whole gym. Doors had to be opened to air it out. I don't ever want my child to be that child, so both of my girls wear deo. to gym. I felt so sorry for that girl. She was pitiful.

8 and I was shocked :eek: but she was definitely smelly and sweaty. No other signs of puberty yet and she is 9.5...

My dd is 11.5 years old and still nothing yet. She is still tiny and small for her age. If I recall, I think I was about 11 or 12 when I needed to start wearing deoderant. I was also a very late bloomer and didn't hit puberty til my mid teens.

I have a question for you as parents. I coach two rec girls classes and my older group has nine to thirteen year olds. One of the girls has no outward signs of puberty but has definitely started having sweaty armpits and BO. Should I tell her? Should I tell her mum? Of course if I did speak to either of them I would do it in private and try not to make a big deal out of it. As parents, how would you want this approached if it was your DD?

Maybe just buy a little gift bag for her and say, "This is because you are working so hard!" Put some deo. in it and some hair gel, ribbons, hair bands etc... If that doesn't work maybe just privately suggest that she wear deo. You could tell her mom, but that might upset the girl a little bit.... My DD prob. wouldn't like that :p

My oldest daughter is 12, and she still doesn't need deo. I have bought her some though, I think she uses it like 3% of the time :p Oh well, when she needs it she will use it.

I have a question for you as parents. I coach two rec girls classes and my older group has nine to thirteen year olds. One of the girls has no outward signs of puberty but has definitely started having sweaty armpits and BO. Should I tell her? Should I tell her mum? Of course if I did speak to either of them I would do it in private and try not to make a big deal out of it. As parents, how would you want this approached if it was your DD?

You can speak to the parent privately, BO does not need to be embarrassing and the parent probably does not know. Just tell her that the girls are working really hard in class now, working up a sweat and need to wear deoderant to class.

You could also do a little handout to the parents with tips like:
Now that the girls are in this class we recommend

• drinking 8 oz. water before class
  • having a small nutritious snack 30 min. prior to class
  • purchasing a sports bra with no metal closures
  • wearing a deodorant specifically made for young ladies such as XXXX

At our gym we have a note posted on some of the walls in the waiting area that reads something like this:

Things Needed in all Gymnasts Bags (brought to every practice):
Water
Hair ties
Grips/Wrist Bands
Pre-wrap
Deoderant

This way, it includes the deoderant, but doesn't necessarily point it out in a blatent or embarrassing way. This note is also included in every gymnasts mailbox periodically throughout the year just as a reminder.

I know at the summer camp my girls have attended they say that every gymnast must wear deo and a clean leo to every practice.

I know at the summer camp my girls have attended they say that every gymnast must wear deo and a clean leo to every practice.

Now this rule I like. We have had 8 year olds who work very hard and stink! I would talk to the parent very gently and tell her her dd is working up a sweat which is great and really needs some deo now. parents wont be aware. I try and make my 9 year old wear it and she has some in her bag. I try to remind her sometimes.

I really hate coaching kids in dirty, dribbly (eww) leotards. I wear clean clothes everyday to coach and leotards take 2 minutes to swish out in a basin each week.

One of our coaches has the rule that if you are over x age you MUST wear panties and shorts over your leo for practice and they MUST have DEO in their locker and use it during their break. She told them that you all are a bit smelly (as a group) and put the rule in place. She said your parents hug and kiss you after you shower and before you work out I have to smell you in the gym. So it it is now a "Rule"

At our gym the coach gave each girl on the team (they were all under 10) a little bottle of deodorant as a gift in a gift bag with hair bands and little things. When the girls asked what the deodorant was for she said they work hard and should use it. LOL

My DD is 8 and is very sweaty head to toe . .. including the pits LOL. I've been looking for a light deodorant for her - thinking eventually she will stink!

The important thing, I think, would be to make it a group thing. Everyone gets a little sample size with instructions that its summer, it's hot and they are ALL sweaty stinky hard working girls ;) I think for a kid it's harder to be singled out

I really hate coaching kids in dirty, dribbly (eww) leotards. I wear clean clothes everyday to coach and leotards take 2 minutes to swish out in a basin each week.

OMG! I don't even want to TOUCH the dirty sweaty nasty leo! I could not ever imagine her wearing it before it's washed!!! eeeeeewwww is right!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back