Will it hold her back?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sportsmommy

Proud Parent
Last year by dd had a mental block on her cartwheel on beam this past year. Her scores for the year were mid to high 8s In our meeting with the coaches they informed us that they felt another year competing level 5 while working on 6 skills would be best. We agreed.

Then she gets to practice to learn that all of the other 5s have been grouped together to train 6. These girls do not have all the 6 skills. My dd has about the same amount of skills. My dd is being grouped with the girls training level 5. These girls she is grouped with do not have all the 5 skills.

So she is conditioning with the new level 5. She also working on the same skills the as the new level 5s. So she is working on her kip and double backhandspring. This is tough for her because she likes to push herself. She likes to be challenged. Do you think this setting will hold her back? I know she will be bored. She is already saying things like "today the level 6s worked fly aways. I wanted to but my group was working on squat ons." I have talked to the coaches about it and they say she will be working on 6 skills. I just don't know if this is normal.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Since you already talked with the coaches about your confusion in this, and they reassured you she would train 6, then I would let it play out for a few weeks to see what really happens. In dd's gym, each girl is typically given individual skills/lists to work on depending on where they are in the skill level and what they need help with. this may be what they are planning to do with her. So while she is training with the 5's, she will have her own list of drills to do. However, I would keep an eye on it (either yourself or through your dd) because it can be very easy for coaches to forget 1 girl is supposed to be working separate skills. Or they will send the one girl off to train on her own while the rest of the group works on a particular skills. This is fine if the girl can do the skills, but if she needs spotting or corrections, obviously it's not a good situation. This hasn't happened in dd's gym, that I'm aware of but others have posted about it on the forum.

It is always hard to watch the group you wanted to be in. I know I've spent more than one afternoon gazing bitterly at the 6s while I trained 5. But that doesn't necessarily mean a year at 5 again will make her stagnate or will not push her enough, or even that she will be bored, since the coaches seem to think it would be beneficial. If she has fear issues and possible form ones too (since they are having her work on perfecting her current skills), another year with the same skills could boost her confidence and her performance. I know she wanted to move up, and it seems you do too, but she could learn a lot.

If you can't see a difference between the skills she is doing and the others girls have a deeper discussion with the coach. Find out what the plan is to gain from repeating level 5, if the others are going to 6. Her fear of cartwheels on the beam may have the coaches thinking she is going to hit other fear issue's with things like back tuck on floor, back walkover on beam and flyaway on bars. It may be that these other girls were also given the option of repeating 5 but chose not too. Find out what is going on.

I think she will without a doubt be bored if she is training with the beginner 5's. This should not be necessary every day. Perhaps she could train 2 days a week with the new 5's and 2 days a week with the girls working 6. She should not need to spend as much time as the others doing 5 routines and skills.

My guess is that your DD has some minor form issues with some of skills? Also it's possible that they don't want to push her too quickly and then run into more fear issues. It sounds to me like they really do have your daughter's best interests at heart.

Possibly the coaches are having her do the level 5 skills along with the newbies so that they can make corrections and she can work back up towards the level 6 skills with confidence.

Hopefully, once the new level 5's are tweaking their skills and learning routines your DD will begin level 6 skills?

I would leave it a while, reassure your DD that you have spoken to the coaches and encourage her to continue to work hard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back