MAG Woohoo! his cast is off!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

2G1B

Proud Parent
DS fractured his elbow almost 3 weeks ago on the school playground. We went back today, he got the cast off and is cleared to start working on the mobility in his arm. I'm amazed the range of motion he already has!

An interesting thing the doctor said was that DS is a "young 9". I said, "He is 9 and a half." The doctor explained that based on the x-rays he is on the lower end of growing for a 9 year old his age and that he will likely grow to an older age than most boys - that really his "growth centers" in the elbow didn't look even like a 9 year old's. This was interesting because over the summer he had a wrist x-ray done to see if he has delayed growth and we were told that was normal; but the orthopedist today said that DS definitely will be growing later. So maybe he won't be as short as we have been thinking (we have said we just hope he makes it to 5'5").

That is great news! (the cast part, and the growing part :))

my eldest has delayed puberty, at 14 1/2 he was 4' 11" and having a hard time at school. The consultant prescribed testosterone treatment after a bone scan which put his bone age at 12. 6 months on he is now 5'2" and shooting up, without any more treatment.

Haha, Margo, my oldest is the same way! 4'11'' and change at his last pediatric appointment at age 14.5. The doc says that he thinks puberty is somewhere on the distant horizon, and both me and DH were late bloomers, so we are waiting in breathless anticipation for him to sprout.

So glad the cast is off and he's doing well! When will he be cleared for full practice? Or will he have to get checked again to set a time frame?

I just posted a new post in the parent forum. He is supposed to be fully cleared on 9/27; but the doctor said that he was free to start working on strength once he could fully extend his arm and fully bend it. He could do that by Friday night. But then at practice on Monday he realized that his wrist hurts now. I'm kind of worried about THAT now. Maybe there was a wrist injury; but the elbow hurt more, so we didn't even check the wrist. Hopefully he can get in with the doctor tomorrow to just check it out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back