Work out on vacation?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

emorymom

Proud Parent
Do you or your gymnasts work out when out of town on vacation? Mine will miss 3 weeks of their programs in August for family vaca. While I am not concerned about their competitiveness at all, I am slightly concerned about them deconditioning and becoming sore or injured. Mine are still very young and spend 3-5 hours / 6-8 hours in the gym per week respectively.

Last year when it was just really my daughter on preteam I would make sure to find a place for her to do pullups and mess around on playground bars during vacation "season" and also drop into a tumbling class here or there.

Well at my gym there are classes 3 days a week in the summer (3/4 hours each). But you only have to go three weeks through out the summer. So then you plan vacation and what not whenever and work when you want to go to gym around that. You can always go more than three weeks. I would say conditioning is good, but dont over do it, they still seem like they are fun they need to have fun! You can always set a program up then say they have to do it x numbers of days a week, let them decide one. And ask if they want to go to open gym and see how they do!

I agree with hawaii gymnast make them do some conditiong throughtout the week, maybe three days?? You can also have their coaches write out a list of conditiong that the can do with out bars, excesice balls, things like that. Also make them do some streching because if they dont stretch they will come back really tight and will couase them to be sore after practice for a while.

Check and see if there are any gyms near where you will be on vacation. Most gyms allow "guests" for a few classes and the girls might have fun doing a few classess at a different gym. Other than that, just do some stretching and suggest very basic conditioning a few times while away. This is a family vacation and shouldn't revolve around their gymnastics.
You might ask their coaches for ideas. Some gyms have sheets with a workout "schedule" for girls who are going to be away for a few weeks.

BTW--They can also get a pretty good workout swimming or other fun outdoor activities.

They don't need to do gymnastics while away, but it can be fun to visit different gyms. Most gyms will allow guests to work out with their team and this can be fun. My kids have trained at Brestyan's and Orlando Metro while on vacation. Dd ended up working on beam while Alicia Sacramone was doing routines on the beam next to her.

Don't even bother with worrying about gym while at their ages and levels while on vacation...take advantage of that as long as you can because when they are older and at the upper optional levels (if they stick with it), 3 week vacations will be a distant memory!! Sometimes a break from gym is just what they need; it gives them time just to be a kid.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back