WAG wrist supports - boon or bane?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Older DD who is a Level 8 started using Tiger Paws at Level 4 and pretty much always wore them.

Of course, if she tumbles at home she doesn't wear them, but at the gym, as soon as they started Round Off Back Handspring Back Tucks on floor and Back Handsprings on beam, all of the girls on her team wore them.
They also did a lot of Handstand Presses and Walks and Coach said it is better to start preventing the wrists in an early stage than starting when they already hurt. But all of the kids on team were asked to do the "rice-bucket" for wrist and forearm strengthening at home every evening before going to bed. They should do 2x25 circles in each direction with both hands and then stretch the wrists and forearms to make them strong. She still does that every night. DD has never really had any bigger wrist injuries.

Younger DD who will be a L5 doens't wear wrist supports. I asked her coach about it and she said she doens't think they are necessary until L7 because it will prevent the wrist to get stronger and adapt to the stress that is placed on them and it can be worse for the other joints like elbow or shoulder, because then they have to bare much more weight.

What do you guys think?

DD did not start using them until this past spring (training level 7). She had developed tendonitis and the ortho doctor had recommended she use them during tumbling and vault. I wouldn't have mine use them otherwise.

I think different people have strong feelings both ways in this. My dd's physical therapist says it is better to use the before there is an injury, as a preventative measure. I'm not sure that I understand how using a wrist support can put more stress on the shoulder or elbow though.

My understanding is they don't actually *do* much, support wise. They prevent hyperextension injuries. They shouldn't make any difference to strength or normal range of movement. Tiger paws etc are different to actual wrist supports- supports should be tight enough and elasticated to hold the joint- replacing the job of ligaments and muscles.

So as long as your child is doing her normal gym with good technique, they're decorative :). But, if she does something incorrectly, or is doing a lot of yurchenko preps or anything involving wrist hyperextension, they will stop the wrist hyperextending too far and prevent injury.

So I prefer them to use them early. What I don't like seeing is kids with just one, always two!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back