WAG Xcel diamond

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amgymnast618

Coach
Gymnast
I am almost 16 and have competed xcel platinum for the last 3 years. There have usually only been a few diamonds who practice with us because there aren't enough of them to make a new group. However, this year most of the level 8 team is doing diamond, so there will be separate groups. I have the skills for diamond and have been practicing with both platinum and diamond this summer. I would like to be in the diamond group because I want more hours and I've enjoyed being in their group over the summer. Should I ask my coaches if I could do it?

I second that it doesn't hurt to ask, letting your coach know that you want more hours is a great way to start, shows your dedication. Good luck!

I would say ask as well. One question for you is do you know the reasoning for you staying platinum so long? If you have the diamond skills I would think they would institute a move-up.

Ask, so they know your interest, and so you know what skill you might need if there's something you need to work towards. It may not be immediate, but target skills and motivation on what to focus on. Good luck!

I would say ask as well. One question for you is do you know the reasoning for you staying platinum so long? If you have the diamond skills I would think they would institute a move-up.
I had a huge mental block on back tumbling(over it now) that held back progress for a while, and I struggle with bars so I only got my skills on bars earlier this summer.

I second that it doesn't hurt to ask, letting your coach know that you want more hours is a great way to start, shows your dedication. Good luck!
Thank you, I was a bit worried to ask because I sometimes get anxious about this kind of thing, but I feel better about it now. I was planning to ask my coach today but she's away for the weekend, so I definitely will next week.

Let us know how it goes. We all understand anxiety. Talking to the boss is hard but it clears the air and actually reduces the anxiety when you do it.

My daughter competed Xcel Diamond this past year and there were a whole range of skills, everything from just the basics to level 9 skills. The thing about Xcel is that there are no bonuses for doing the more advanced skills, so even if you're doing just the minimum, if you're doing it cleanly you can compete against the kids flipping their vaults, doing back tucks on beam, etc. Good luck!

So I talked to my coach yesterday. She said I would need giants more consistently, and since the diamond group is pretty big, there's not enough time for the coaches to really focus on giants when a lot of the other girls have them. So I'm starting the year in platinum, but planning to sometimes practice with diamond and move up once I get the giants(already have them with a spot). I'm pretty ok with it because she told me to just wait and see how it goes, and I have friends in both groups.

So I talked to my coach yesterday. She said I would need giants more consistently, and since the diamond group is pretty big, there's not enough time for the coaches to really focus on giants when a lot of the other girls have them. So I'm starting the year in platinum, but planning to sometimes practice with diamond and move up once I get the giants(already have them with a spot). I'm pretty ok with it because she told me to just wait and see how it goes, and I have friends in both groups.

Sounds like a pretty fair deal! Congrats to you! Hoping the giant fairy makes a visit for you soon!

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back