WAG Xcel Gold Help Please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mls529

Proud Parent
Hello,
My daughter recently made the decision to quit JO and move to Xcel. We also decided to move gyms -- she wants to join an Xcel only gym that is much less intense.

This most recent season, she competed her 2nd year of level 4. Then she did a score out meet a few weeks after level 4 state, competing at level 5 (scored ~35) and had planned to compete 6 this fall. She started having fears that prevented progress on beam, which is one of the big reasons she chose to move to Xcel.

Here is the issue - the gym she is moving to is only competing Gold as their highest level this season. They plan to compete Platinum in the future. I saw the mobility chart, and I know that level 5s are supposed to move to Platinum. But given her fears, her new coaches and I agree that Gold would be better for the upcoming season, especially because there is plenty of room to compete higher levels skills at Gold on some events (e.g. bars, which she is good at), and keep it simply on others (mainly beam).

Will we have to petition to get her into Gold? What is considered acceptable rationale to be a Gold vs. Platinum? I can go into detail, but I promise this is not a sandbagging situation -- I just want my kid to enjoy the sport again and get some confidence back. Can any of the wonderful Xcel experts on this board give some advice? Thanks!

She only competed one meet at level 5, so I don't think she should have a problem just registering as a Gold. If the coaches want to play it safe, they can send an email to the Xcel chair in your state just explaining the situation- that she has some fear issues and they think it is in her best interests to compete Gold- and she should be good to go.

She only competed one meet at level 5, so I don't think she should have a problem just registering as a Gold. If the coaches want to play it safe, they can send an email to the Xcel chair in your state just explaining the situation- that she has some fear issues and they think it is in her best interests to compete Gold- and she should be good to go.

We had several girls who had competed level 3 and therefore were supposed to enter at Gold, but were no where near ready to go over the vault table or jump to the high bar. We sent a letter to the Xcel chair explaining the situation: they have some fear issues, it is in the child's best interests to compete the lower level, it wouldn't be safe to compete the higher level. Approved with no problem. The State Chairs want people to be safe.

A score out meet of L5 does not force a gymnast to Platinum. She competed L4 for the season. She is Gold (unless you WANT the L5 score out to count, lol).
That is the beauty of the switch to Xcel after a score out... The coach can decide whether that meet counts or not :)

The person your coach should contact is your State Administrative Committe Chair. As others have said it's no problem, but I would still send the email if I were her coach. Dropping down one level from the allowable one is not a big deal and would definitely be approved.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back