DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
When doing a Yurchenko half on...should a gymnast be perfectly square with their lower body when hitting the board?

I've watched many videos and have noticed that a majority of gymnasts performing this vault are slightly (or majorly) skewed when hitting the board. However...I have seen some that are very close to square.

Here is one that is almost completely sideways on the board (at about 1:45 in the video)...

[video=youtube;bvFuiAZzKXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFuiAZzKXM[/video]

Last edited:
Fixed...........

I think it's like anything else......You teach them to go straight, they "adapt" and start the turn early. I think Cheng Fei could be an exception as it looks like too many parts of the skill are "pre-loaded" for a 1/8 turn onto the board, another 1/8 turn as she's extending on the board, and the rest of the turn happening during pre-flight and repulsion.

I noticed that as she places her front foot for the round-off, it's turned inward like crazy.....Me thinks maybe to mimic a 1/2 on as she's preparing to place her hands on the runway. I'm thinking about it, and it makes sense from the stand point that she can "collect" her body parts a little earlier than possible in a round-off. That could even make the "cheat" a good one.........

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back