WAG Beam Split Leap, Height or Distance??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
I don't know what is ideal and expected for the little athletes.
I have seen girls in L3-L4 who are working on the split leap do all different kinds.
What is the best way?
Distance? I have seen girls go low and far.....does it matter how far you go?
Height? I have seen girls jumping over a horse jump, with small angle and distance.
Split angle?

Just a parent here, but I believe proper/adequate split angle for their level and height are more important than distance traveled. At least, that's what seems to be the case, score-wise.

For a leap, you ideally would like both height and distance. However, given the fact that they only have so much energy to apply to the skill, they would be better served by applying more of that energy in going up as opposed to going forward until they can do both. A 180 degree split leap wouldn't look very good 2 inches off the ground! ;) As for the angle, I don't ever recall seeing one that I thought 'gee, that looks too big!' ;)

Height, and kicking both legs (as opposed to kicking the first leg, then letting the second leg drag behind, resulting in a seesaw style leap).

I don't know what is ideal and expected for the little athletes.

What is the best way? Distance? Height? Split angle?

The USA-G Jr. Code, http://usagym.org/pages/education/pdfs/13-20wjoCompProg.pdf, is specific to split angle:
L3 FX - 90', L4 FX 120', L5 FX 150' (split or switch).

As to height, no specifics measurement is given as athletes are different size, leg length and more differences. As mentioned above, a balanced split is asked of the athlete with straight legs. I like to remind the athletes that height should be enough to close the legs, specific to BB. The code does ask that the hips rise.

A split leap on BB is typically taught from a medium to short step before take-off so that the athletes CM can be forceably propelled forward and upwards. Lots of technical data has been explored as to the potentially strongest angle and position under the body should be. In simple terms the body CM should be slightly in front of the directed force in a leap. (A leap has forward and upward force tangents.)

The distance of the leap is much a product of the directed force and the direction it is applied. Simply, little force= smaller distance and larger force = larger distance. We have L6-10 athletes use a multi-step run into a switch leap in order to maximize Force and use the height to showcase our speed and active flexibility. The transfer of the horizontal force to have a vertical component is one based upon the individual performing the skill.

I hope I have assisted. Yell if I have not answered or muddied the question.

Best, SBG -

From a judges perspective we basically deduct for amplitude if the leap is not shoulder height or higher, so most kids do get deducted. However, I judge in a program similar to FIG not JO at all so it could be different.

The shoulder height to head height is what I was told in the judging course which is a modified FIG program, it uses FIG deductions but adapts some things to be able to integrate it into the lower levels.

Hieght wins this one as long as there is enough forward energy the gymnast is able to land and easily bring her center of mass forward and over her support foot. An example of what the old school judges look, for can be found in the long ago compulsory routines that required a brief arabesque upon landing. I don't know if the old timers bend the younger judges toward that standard, but considering many of the old crowd took great pride in this leap and used it as a major element........

Done with grace and power it still remains a skill that can turn heads.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back