MAG Boy's Level 5 Still Rings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
That looks good! The swings and tightness will come as he gets stronger and more confident. My ds says that the rings swings are hard, and the turnout needed to get it right takes time. Some kids get it naturally, d did not. It is very tough. But as he works it, and gets stronger, they will come!

Good job to him!!!!

Reactions: sce
Solid L5 routine for a little guy! Pretty much what my dude looked like at L5. It took my guy about another 1-1.5 years to get the proper turnover (turning palms out on backswing and inward on forward swing) and rhythm to get swings nice and high. Spotted repetition (coach physically moving him through the swings, gradually higher and higher) was the key for him on swings.

You son's already got the lever (great job!) - getting the perfect straight body shape on it is also just time and strength, and spotted shaping. Though, be warned, my dude had a near perfect lever when he was littler, but now that he has started growing more quickly, his lever shape goes from archy to pike-y as he struggles to hold up his lengthening body. Common!

Little things like locked straight legs and pointed feet are just time and body awareness. The best thing is a coach who will continually correct these little things in practice so that it becomes muscle memory. It is a slow process, though. My L6er still struggles, but it is veerrrrry slowwwwwwly improving. o_O:rolleyes:;)

Your son looks great! I hope he is having a fun season.

I found that both muscle up and lever were lots easier when mine was littler...but technique on swings, better amplitude on flyaway, etc all come much easier now that he's growing/grown.

Holy cuteness! I agree with the others, the things that need correcting take a long time to learn, he will get there.

I found that both muscle up and lever were lots easier when mine was littler...but technique on swings, better amplitude on flyaway, etc all come much easier now that he's growing/grown.

I agree with this as well. Longer, heavier body for swings: good! Longer, heavier body for lever and muscle-up: bad! ;)

Lol, my son (level 5 age 8) is just now starting to get the turnout for swings, it's taken a while. He can still do the lever but the muscle up is hard for him. Ive often wondered if it's size...he is a very muscular 80lbs.
Your son looks awesome (and adorable!!)!
I agree with others...little things like tight knees will come with experience.

Reactions: sce
Body shape and arm length have a lot to do with it -- my son, I think, only ever got credit for the lever hold bonus once in L5 or L6. But he had a beautiful muscle up.

Your guy looks very good! Amazing how quickly they improve and move forward. It's good that he's keeping his body tight. He'll just keep swinging bigger and bigger, and once he gets the concept of turnout, he'll really take off!

Looks good! If he turns the rings out during swings it will help him. Definitely takes time and practice to get them down. My son is also an 8 year old Level 5. This is his second year at 5. He needed time to work on Floor (his nemesis) and it's paying off. Rings has always been one of his stronger events.

Looks good! If he turns the rings out during swings it will help him. Definitely takes time and practice to get them down. My son is also an 8 year old Level 5. This is his second year at 5. He needed time to work on Floor (his nemesis) and it's paying off. Rings has always been one of his stronger events.

Yay!! Floor was his nemesis too?! Sometimes feel like my son is the only one! Like you are "supposed" to be a natural tumbler in order to be a gymnast. Mine is definitely a hanging, swinging monkey!! [emoji12]

Yay!! Floor was his nemesis too?! Sometimes feel like my son is the only one! Like you are "supposed" to be a natural tumbler in order to be a gymnast. Mine is definitely a hanging, swinging monkey!! [emoji12]

Nope, my kid too. He's strong and a swinger. Floor and vault have always been hard. He's level9 and tumbling is still an area he has to work at. I am certain compare to most boys his level, he has far less tumbling skills.

Yup! He is great at rings, pommel, and pbar. Floor and vault not so much. Although this season he has come in 1st in both events (not at the same meet though). Last year he really struggled with the front handspring. He had it before the season, grew, and never really got it back. His coaches tried everything and were so frustrated. He would manage to land it in comp but it didn't look pretty. Floor would always effect his all around. Repeating 5 has been so good for his Floor and confidence. He is doing great at Floor now and placing 1st or 2nd AA.

It's like a little support group :). It's so hard to understand sometimes though...giants are NBD but a second back handspring might kill you?!? Nice to have a few comrades!

Mine competes a pretty nice yamawaki on rings and a somewhat decent vault catch on hi bar and is close to a Tippelt on pbars. Things he cannot do competently on FX include a front half and a back full. His tucked tsuk is safe but he has a lot of trouble standing it up at meets. It is really sad.

Mine competes a pretty nice yamawaki on rings and a somewhat decent vault catch on hi bar and is close to a Tippelt on pbars. Things he cannot do competently on FX include a front half and a back full. His tucked tsuk is safe but he has a lot of trouble standing it up at meets. It is really sad.

What about his Arabian? Mine looks like he's trying to kill himself whenever he attempts one. Like seriously flings himself who knows what direction.

What about his Arabian? Mine looks like he's trying to kill himself whenever he attempts one. Like seriously flings himself who knows what direction.

Right?!! All.of.this! Seriously where are you trying to fling yourself?!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back