WAG Can't point my toes far!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think there might be something wrong with my ankles because I can't point my toes in a line with my leg. It doesn't hurt at all when someone just pushes my feet down, even when it's as hard as the can but when I put my feet under the couch and try to straighten my legs it does a little. And then they lift up the couch. My ankles won't budge and my feet are always MAJORLY sickled. I asked the doctor a while ago and he said I had flat feet and my ankles rolled in slightly but he told me it's nothing to worry about as long as they don't hurt when I run, which they don't. But has anyone ever heard of something like this?

Oh and I have been in gymnastics for about 5 years and here is a picture if it helps...
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1393220289.286427.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1393220379.584184.jpg

To help with your toes my coach had me Sit on a chair and point my Toes on the ground and hold it there for 30 seconds then relax hold for 30 seconds and relax

Tori

A suggestion one of our coaches gives to the girls on DD's team who are flat footed is to wear high heels around the house. It helps to build that arch back up.

Ask your coaches or a reputable dance teacher to show you how to use a theraband for foot and ankle stretches. Do NOT just google that and try by yourself, you can do damage by not doing the stretches correctly. If you are younger than high teens, you will be able to get some more flexibility with the correct stretches and can also work on correcting the sickling.
My older daughter is a ballerina and they work with therabands for their feet al the time... It surprises me that they don't at (my other daughters) gym.
Good luck, and remember it is a must to have someone show you how to do the stretches correctly!!!

(Just FYI... Walking in high heels or flip flops actually weaken the arches. Ballerinas are strongly cautioned against both.)

Thanks, I'll try those but I don't think it will work; my ankles haven't budged in 5 years so far.

Will this be a big problem for me as I get more advanced?

A suggestion one of our coaches gives to the girls on DD's team who are flat footed is to wear high heels around the house. It helps to build that arch back up.

I think this is questionable at best. High heels stack the lower body in a way that is very unlike walking on high releve. It feels nothing like it to me. I attribute my lack of lower body injuries/pain partially to never wearing high heels, ever.

Physical therapy might be the best solution if possible based on your second picture.

(Just FYI... Walking in high heels or flip flops actually weaken the arches. Ballerinas are strongly cautioned against both.)

I think this is questionable at best. High heels stack the lower body in a way that is very unlike walking on high releve. It feels nothing like it to me. I attribute my lack of lower body injuries/pain partially to never wearing high heels, ever.

That's interesting. Now I'm going to have to look it up. This was advice given to our girls by one of our coaches who is a trained dancer. (That is what her degree is in and she has coached both gymnastics and competitive dance for years.) So I have never questioned the advice.

My daughter has flat feet (more flat than yours) and she has improved her point. She can actually touch her toes to the floor. She did Pineapple's suggested exercise and toe rises regularly, along with some toe stretches. There are a ton of feet, arches and ankle exercises in the Internet if you google it. They really do will help you if you do them consistently. Here are some simple exercise you can probably do while watching TV too. Remember, the feet is a very integral part of a dancer. It is proven that exercise can and will help. So, if it is important to you to improve your point, you need to consistently work at it. Change will not happen overnight.

http://www.dance.net/topic/2211620/...rengthen-arches-ankles-and-feet-ANIMATED.html

As far as wearing high heels, I've heard some people think that. But I believe that is misguided. I don't know if it can strengthen arches but I do know it shortens the Achilles' tendon and can develop all sorts of other feet problems. In addition, very high heels makes the pelvic and spine tilt in ways that can eventually cause lower back pain. My thoughts are and it is pretty much common knowledge, high heels does not promote healthy feet, spine and back. So, personally, I would not recommend a purported "solution" that can perpetuate many other problems. And honestly, in my many years as a professional, instructor and student of dance, wearing high heels has never been recommended (by any individual whose opinion I respected anyway).

One of my friends (not a gymnast or a dancer, just a runner) wore Vibram Five Fingers for awhile, and when she went to the running shop a year or so later, her arches had built up quite a bit. For what it's worth...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back