Certain coaching for certain girls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Let me start off with saying that i thought my practice was going fine, i did beam fine (after an agravation of back walkovers finally finishing what i had to do in less than 1 minute i just needed to get myself there) we went to bars i did some ok layout flyaways, cast hands, and baby giants but i did not ask for a spot on real giants nor was i asked if i wanted to do giants, the coach wasn't even there 2/3rds of the time on bars!

But i digress, so everything was normal and we went to vault. My run changes daily and i have to run about 3 times before i actually find the right place to start, but no biggie. The coach that was coaching left 10 minutes into the rotation but another boys coach stepped in because thats what coaches do.

At this point in time i thought practice was going fine, i was completely exhausted because of choices i made during the long weekend (I advise no one to ever pull an "all-nighter" to watch a saw marathon) but when we adjorned to floor one of the coahces pulled me and my buddy for the last hour aside (lower levels go to 7:30 "others" to 8:30) and had a very firm speaking with about our goals and what we wanted in gymnastics because we obviously where not working towards it and she did not want to see this behavior in the gym, or at least that was what i got from what she said.

My buddy wasnt as quiet as i and chimed in that she wanted to go level 6, something the coach already knew, and she was told that she better get her act in gear and start throwing all of her fear issues out the door or they might consider another year of 5 :eek: scary threat!

I am not completely sure if i even want to do gymnastics next year and i am tryin g to figure that out myself, so when she asked me what i wanted to do, knowing i had spoken before that i wanted to go level 7, but wanting me to say it, i merely shrugged. I honestly didn't know.

Because i refused to talk about my goals (i am a very closed person and will shut down when i am challenged by a coach or teacher) i sat there for 30 minutes trying to be prompted by the coach to tell her what i wanted to do when i did not know myself. It was just very hard for me because i simply can't communicate like that very well because i become flustered and nervous.

Now they say i dont want to be coached an i am just so hard to coach because i dont tell them out right what i want. My question is this: do all coaches need to have it spelled out right what coaching a certain gymnast wants? Shouldn't the coach just coach and if a gymnast speaks up then listen? Right now the coach just wont coach at all because i am so "uncoachable".

Maybe i am just complaining too much, i was jst wondering if coaches had to actually have a specialized coaching style asked for by the girls (or boys) in order to be coached at all. Views on the coaching in your own gym are welcome. Im sorry this is long, just had to vent a bit.

My question is this: do all coaches need to have it spelled out right what coaching a certain gymnast wants? Shouldn't the coach just coach and if a gymnast speaks up then listen? Right now the coach just wont coach at all because i am so "uncoachable".

Maybe i am just complaining too much, i was jst wondering if coaches had to actually have a specialized coaching style asked for by the girls (or boys) in order to be coached at all. Views on the coaching in your own gym are welcome. Im sorry this is long, just had to vent a bit.

I understand your frustration.
Let me explain what my take on this is, line by line.

"Do all coaches need to have it spelled out right what coaching a certain gymnast wants?"

No, but when a gymnast tells us - it helps alot. Usually, its the natural assumption that every athlete wants to move to the next level. If you're having a certain trouble or fear with a drill, the coach should have identified and given you progressions + spotting to help you with said fear/block; however in a large group sometimes the attention is so diverted that we don't catch little things especially if you never tell the coach.

Shouldn't the coach just coach and if a gymnast speaks up then listen?
No. All gymnasts progress at different speeds, due to the uniqueness of each athlete as a human being. Some will progress through level 5 faster than others, and this can be said for ALL levels. Working towards each move is a series of progressions, some kids will master certain pre-requisites faster than other athletes in the same group - therefore "just coaching" won't necessarily work - a blanket solution can't be applied to such an individualized situation.

This is why its important that YOU let your coach know that you are willing to learn.

That is, if you are.

You mention that you have considered not doing gymnastics next year in addition to "not knowing what you want"

However, you made a post here on CB about this incident, which tells me that you really do want to continue with your gymnastics - if otherwise; why would you have bothered posting?

Talk to your coach and tell him or her that you want to progress. Tell them exactly what you wrote here and LISTEN to what they tell you. There is probably a reason they didn't offer to spot you on real giants, for example. Don't assume they have given up on you - because its quite possible that they are assuming you have done the same to them.

good luck :)

Coaches are people too, and they feel very strongly about their gymnasts. They also get frustrated when their kids are not achieving to the point they were expecting. It sounds like your coach was just frustrated and aggravated, and this is why they were demanding answers.

Coaches do want their gymnasts to have strong goals. It is what drives them in training, gymnasts with goals tend to work harder and achieve more. It is hard to put 100% in at gymnastics if you don't have goals.

One thing many kids don't realize is that with adults honest is the best policy. It might have been better to tell your coach "I am reevaluating my goals at the moment, I really need to think about it, could I go home and think about it and get back to you".

Perhaps you can set some different types of goals. Setting a goal to go to level 7 is a long term goal and it requires you to know if you are staying in gymnastics. Why not set some shorter term goals. Like skills you want to learn or improve, a certain score you want to beat at a competition and so on.

ms. jenniffir, you are an excellent writer.:)

and isn't there a tape measure on the vault runway so that you know where to start each and every time you vault?

ms. jenniffir, you are an excellent writer.:)

and isn't there a tape measure on the vault runway so that you know where to start each and every time you vault?

Thank you dunno, people have told me that before but i dont see why.

Yes there is a tape measure but even still, everyday without fail, my steps are off for some strange reason.

Thank you dunno, people have told me that before but i dont see why.

Yes there is a tape measure but even still, everyday without fail, my steps are off for some strange reason.

dunno, I was reading this and I had the same thought. Your writing is in fact very good. Your last comment is what struck me. jenniffer, you need to start believing in yourself. When dunno made that positive comment, your weren't ready to accept it. You are young, and dear learning to accept our own great qualities is a must if we all want to mature.
The only thing as a parent/teacher that I can add is that once a child/student/athlete/individual is motivated by self-confidence the sooner all those around him/her will place their own confidence in them. Talk to your coaches and express your views in just the same eloquent manner that you have here. If talking face to face is troubling than write it down for them. Trust me, they will see you with new eyes. It is remarkable what we as adults can learn from you youngsters. But communication is key!:)

jeniffir, you remind me a ton of myself last year and even still today. i too have been called uncoachable because of communication problems. i am naturally a shy person. my dad is a Perfectionist and i am often yelled at for the smallist things. for this reason i do not speek up very often and do not communicate properly. when i am having a fear issue or anything i always hold it in. because of this i am cause i have a TON of internal stress.
if you are writing this like someone else said you must want to continue with the sport. something like this wouldnt bug you this much if you were going to give it up anytime soon. with that said you really do need to come up with some goals. it may not be competing level 7 this season but goals such as bhs on beam and layouts on floor. that way your coach has something that they can coach you toward. i do agree that they should be able to just coach you toawrd no matter goal but it definetly helps them if they know what they are coaching toward. it also gives them a sense of how much they can break down the skill and how much they need to rush you.
i also feel like coaches need to specialize their styles for their gymnasts, not everyone works well in the same enviroment. some gymnasts if you add the pressure they will preform other wills just crumble. they need to take a step back experiment and see what works best for that gymnast.
i just have to add coaches are human. they make mistakes like everyone else.
like lilgymmie said it sounds like you need a bit more self-confidence. you have to belive in yourself! this is one major thing i struggled with and still do. you have to be able to belive you have the ability to do whatever you set your mind to. this is how you will find success.
so what i have to say is you need to take it day by day. write down some goals you might have even if they are short term and give them to your coach so they know what to work towards. you also have to do some soul searching and get yourself some more self confidence. from your post i have to agree you are a fantastic writer! i am so impressed. maybe try to keep a diary/journal amnd write down your feelings. then when you go back and read it you have some ides of what you want to talk to your coach about/some goals. Good lucks!

p.s i would love to talk to you over pm sounds like we have a lot in common

Hey Jeniffer!
I am not a very shy person, I'm actually quite the opposite.
But I have self-confidence/fear issues, that cause me to become VERY emotional at gym. My coach often has to coax me to tell him things like goals, but I often get frustrated.
Has this coach been your coach for a long time?
At first my coach didn't know what to do, but after being my coach for a long time he understood what to do.
Has this happened before?
It could have been a random spur of the moment. They could have been frustrated by other things, not necessarily just you.
Try piping up more. My coach always gets super shocked when I ask for spot, because I don't really like showing weakness. But he'
s always really happy to ask, so next time you want to do giants, just ask! They will probably appreciate your willingness. This will also help them feel like you need them.
I think most gymnasts have periods of time when they think about quitting the sport. Just make sure if you decide to that you think it through very well.
About you thinking your just complaining, every person is different. I am just the same. Me and my coach have developed a special bond because of it. If you feel your uncoachable and complain a lot, don't beat yourself up over it and try to fix it. Next time you feel like you being difficult to your coach, take a deep breath and just say OK.
Start slowly opening up to your coach, and it will start to be easier for you to be coached, and for them to coach you.
Good luck!

Your coach needs to develop within you the ability to have a consistent step and stride. I had to do this with one of my L5's this year who would always change her step from one vault to another. Others as well, but one in particular comes to mind.

It wasn't just a matter of finding her step. We'd find one and she would just sabotage it. Stutter here, overstride, inconsistent mechanics.

We also had to do it without a board. Check it 3-5x. If their step is inconsistent, it doesn't really matter if you take steps and mark the distance because it will be all over the place from one run to another.

To get her step finally down, besides having to take a lot of steps over a few months also required pushing her to BELIEVE in her steps. This for the most part was a lot of encouraging with some yelling. Not loud yelling, but at some point she just needed to not change her step.

One of the methods we use for this is to count steps. 7 on the dominant leg, 6 on the non dominant. Always starting on the same leg and hurdling off the same leg. Hurdle off leg that is opposite to first leg of cartwheel. Basically setting her up for Yurchenko one day besides consistency. The kids learn which leg to start off with. Sometimes this is a bit awkward when they take off the opposite leg they hurdle off but is easily fixed.

For instance. I cartwheel with my right leg stepping and lunging first. That means I jump off my left leg, driving my right knee/leg forward. It's also the same way I did as a polevaulter vaulting with the pole on my right side.

I agree with the other coaches. If you get flustered talking to your coaches, maybe writing them a letter explaining what you wrote here would help. I know it helps me so much when athletes communicate with me- in any form.

Sometimes I find that I'm not sure if my coach understands my goals...but recently there was a huge, humiliating episode after which we had a heart-to-heart (really more like a lecture, but hey), and now I find that I can come up to my coach and say "I'd rather get THIS skill for next year"; usually she says "too bad for you, you're going to work on this because it's safer for you, yours is better, blah blah blah" but at least I know she knows what my goals are. She understands her girls very well, since she's known me FOREVER, but it is very different in your situation.

I also go silent when interrogated/lectured/etc, so I think it might be helpful for you to write your coach a letter or e-mail. That way, you can be sure of what you are trying to say, and it will be less stressful. FYI, if a coach asks you what your goals are, generally they're yelling at you for now working hard enough; if you write her, you might feel less "accused."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back