Mrs. Puma

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Sep 23, 2014
Syracuse, NY
Country
USA
Hahahaha! No! I meant she was a level 3 when my daughter was and they competed against each other. She did 3-7-8-9/HOPES, I believe. Mine would have been a 7 this year had she not switched to dance. It just puts in preselected the vast difference between elite caliber kids and regular kids, ya know?
Same here! There are two kids on there who competed against Puma Jr in compulsories. Puma Jr is now USAIGC Silver, so L6/7ish. I‘m ridiculously proud of her, but definitely a big difference from HOPES lol. They do all have their own journey!

mom2557

Proud Parent
Oct 19, 2016
Country
USA
It was a national qualifier so both compulsory and optional. Only 2 left. Winter cup is not a qualifier but I think they may be doing some virtual camps to try and get people qualified. And yes, only 13 current junior qualifiers but only 12 are still doing elite.
I wonder if the camps would be open to girls other than the ones already on the developmental team. In a typical year, how many junior elite are there?

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
Jun 7, 2016
Region 4
Country
USA
I wonder if the camps would be open to girls other than the ones already on the developmental team. In a typical year, how many junior elite are there?
I'm pretty sure the camps are only being offered to girls who have been invited to previous devo camps and only hopes girls, not juniors or seniors. There are usually 25-30 juniors at championships.

LemonLime

Proud Parent
Jul 16, 2007
They are adding 4 juniors to national team based on performance at Winter Cup so some will technically qualify at that meet, but only indirectly. Junior verification is this coming Monday and Tuesday, but I don't think they can qualify there unless they change the rules (And I hope they do change the rules).

LemonLime

Proud Parent
Jul 16, 2007
Yes, the developmental camp next week was open to video submission. I don't know how many new athletes were added. There's a mix of junior elites and hopes athletes verifying at that dev camp.

National team camp verification was last week and had very few non-team members.

LemonLime

Proud Parent
Jul 16, 2007

I think the reason they planned to add juniors to national team is that there currently are only two junior-age athletes on national team? They need to allocate funds even if there aren't any international meets available to them. Winter Cup presents a good way to accurately compare performance, although I understand Tom and Dan have been on the road as well.

truthseeker

Former Gymnast
Aug 16, 2020
Country
USA
Yes, the developmental camp next week was open to video submission. I don't know how many new athletes were added. There's a mix of junior elites and hopes athletes verifying at that dev camp.

National team camp verification was last week and had very few non-team members.
what is the purpose of verifaction at the hopes level? Aren't most of those girls below level 10? like level 8s and 9s in the youngest age and level 9 10 in older age? what are they verifying to do?

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
Jun 7, 2016
Region 4
Country
USA
what is the purpose of verifaction at the hopes level? Aren't most of those girls below level 10? like level 8s and 9s in the youngest age and level 9 10 in older age? what are they verifying to do?
They are now requiring hopes aged girls to get their hopes score before they can attempt to qualify as a junior elite. So I know some of the girls were trying to get their hopes score before the final qualifier in april.

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Hopes is an interesting mix... definitely some L10 skills flying though...

truthseeker

Former Gymnast
Aug 16, 2020
Country
USA
so before now girls would by pass the the hopes program and just train through jo to then become an elite? hopes has been a program for a long time. what about tops? is the new direction inclusive of tops too?

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
so before now girls would by pass the the hopes program and just train through jo to then become an elite? hopes has been a program for a long time. what about tops? is the new direction inclusive of tops too?
There are definitely very well known elite programs that do not do TOPS or HOPES.

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
Jun 7, 2016
Region 4
Country
USA
TOPs and HOPEs have never been required to go the elite route. Many girls have qualified junior and senior elite without ever testing TOPs or doing HOPEs. In the past you could enter a qualifier as a junior elite and if you got the junior elite score you were good to go. If you didn't get the junior elite score but got your HOPEs score you could use that score to qualify to the HOPEs classic. However the opposite wasn't possible (you couldn't enter a qualifier as a HOPEs gymnast and get the junior elite qualifying score and use that to qualify to classics as a junior elite). But now they are requiring girls that are still HOPEs age eligible (10-14 years old) to score out of HOPEs at a qualifier before they can attempt to qualify as a junior elite. So they would basically have to compete in a qualifier as a HOPEs gymnast, get that score (48.5) and then compete in another qualifier and be registered in the junior elite session and attempt to get their junior elite score (50.5). Not sure if this rule will be the same moving forward or if it's just for this year.

Reactions: HappyDDdriver

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
Jun 7, 2016
Region 4
Country
USA
There are definitely very well known elite programs that do not do TOPS or HOPES.
I know GAGE is one, I think Texas Dreams is another?? But yes you are correct, there are a lot of well known elite creating powerhouse gyms that do not use the TOPs or HOPEs programs. There are definitely pros and cons to the programs.

Reactions: JBS

HappyDDdriver

Proud Parent
May 16, 2018
Country
USA
Flippin, Good information... I didn't know that was the case this year, but it does make sense. My daughter falls in that category...