Parents DD starts competing this year...how does the scoring work?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmama43

Proud Parent
DS is in his third year, but DD is just beginning her first year. Though I've only seen one girl's meet, I could tell the scoring range is drastically different. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Assuming this is USAG. If so, it is scored out of 10.0. If this is J.O., then she is probably competing compulsory levels (1-5) and every child will compete the exact same routines. Scores are really all about execution. That is it in a nutshell! Good luck! I think of it like watching the old Olympic routines when I was a kid. Also, scoring can vary meet to meet so don't get too hung up on why she may score higher on one meet than another (but with a DS, you probably already know that).

the girls' scores are much more predictable, in my experience, after watching a season of L4 boys last year!

Yes, for each "mistake" they deduct from 10. Big mistake, like a fall or leaving out a required skill = big deduction (fall = -.5), small mistake like not pointing toes or a small wobble = small deduction.

the girls' scores are much more predictable, in my experience, after watching a season of L4 boys last year!
I think that is mostly true but with the changes to all of the compulsory routines this year, I think there is a greater chance of score variation than over the last few seasons (but I agree it will not be as crazy as the boy's since they did not do any drastic changes like adding bonus elements).
By the 3rd meet, the compulsory music for the floor routine will be stuck in your head!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back