DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you need a pit for L9/10 training?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gaby

Proud Parent
My DD feels very comfortable staying a small gym without pit. She is practicing level 9 skills . I am worried about their facility has no pit , how much this wud affect the learning new skills of level 9 and level 10?

Do they make use of trampolines?

Do they have soft landings… like resi pits?

Do they have the ability to go to another local club to use a pit if needed?

For bar , they have belt. I just don’t feel secure if they don’t have pit to train level 10 bars

While a pit is not necessary… it definitely makes the process faster and much easier.

I am not a coach, but as a parent, I really would not feel comfortable with daughter doing or learning L9-10 skills without one. I am sure a motivated coach can figure out a safe way to learn some of these skills, but still. At least if she is trying to learn skills that lead to 10.0 SV. Some of those E passes on floor and releases and dismounts on bars.....

To play devil's advocate, I wonder if coaches who can teach the skills without a pit may put more emphasis on drills and good technique that help the gymnast in the long run rather than relying on the safety of a pit for a gymnast to figure it out?

I'm very grateful my daughter's gym has a pit. But it also speaks volumes that original poster's daughter is comfortable without a pit. (Also realize that gymnast size and coach's spotting ability would be relevant factors to consider.)

My L10 would say no. I mean I suppose it's possible, but given the difficulty and risk of higher level skills, it doesn't seem like a good idea. I believe that the main reason gymnastics skill difficulty has increased so much in the last 40 years is b/c of the emergence of pits and other equipment advances. I guess the answer also depends on what her goals are and whether it's a true level 9 and 10 with full start value, or just being able to "compete level 9."

I added a poll to this one... go ahead and select an answer. It's a "yes" or "no" poll... feel free to add more by posting.

Bottom line... an experienced coach with a pit will coach much faster than an experienced coach without a pit.

That doesn't mean they will use it all the time... but it will speed things up greatly when needed.

We have been spoiled with multiple pits at our gym. While I am sure that there are other options to teach the harder skills without a pit, I think it would be a bit more difficult. I think it is easier for the gymnasts to learn new skills with the pit being one of the stepping stones.

I think to safely train for level 9 and 10, either a pit or a trampoline is a must-have. Having both is convenient but not necessary, but having at least one is a must.

And if I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with a trampoline.

I crossed all gyms without a pit of our list of possibilities - I just can’t wrap my head around learning some of the vaults and tumbling passes without one. I know there’s a progression and all, but my kid also needs soft landings to start or she’ll break her ankles

I think the pit is pretty necessary. My girls were displaced to a gym most of the spring without a pit, and it hindered their progress a good bit on bars and tumbling (level 9 & 10). I agree that if you have a very experienced and extremely detail-oriented coach with lots and lots of time and patience, it is possible, but around here and I suspect most places, that is pretty much a unicorn.

Spent more than a decade teaching and spotting big tricks without a pit, and thankfully none of my kids got hurt-helps that I'm 6'4" and 250... Not gonna lie, it has been much, much easier on the girls and on my aching body since we moved into a facility with a pit!

Reactions: JBS
Spent more than a decade teaching and spotting big tricks without a pit, and thankfully none of my kids got hurt-helps that I'm 6'4" and 250... Not gonna lie, it has been much, much easier on the girls and on my aching body since we moved into a facility with a pit!

I think that pretty much states it all.

Remember... modern sports aren't about what you are working with... they are about what your competitors are working with. If someone else has it and you don't... most likely you are at a disadvantage.

A pit is not absolutely needed, but it would be recommended, especially since your gymnast is training very high level skills.

Just linking this in...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back