DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
I always hear different opinions on this matter. Do the high level optionals at your club do back walkovers as a part of their regular training? For example...do your L9/10's have a basic slow tumbling warm-up/complex that leads them through front & back walkovers?...or do you keep away from these skills as they may produce injuries?

Coaches especially...does the ability to perform these skills correctly reduce injury...or produce injury?

I'm a parent not a coach but my daughter essentially never does back walkovers any more due to injury. Knowing how the repetition of back walkovers can lead to back injury, my feeling would be to stay away as much as possible!

Yes, we do them, most higher level kids do the, here, but they don't do a lot of them.

Our 9/10's do them as part of their beam skill complex, but in very low numbers - 1 to 3 maybe 2 to 3 times a week. Some do them on high beam, some on low and some just on a line on the floor, wherever they can be done safely.

I'm a level 10 gymnast and I always do them in the basic tumbling portion of my warm-up. I only do 2-3 of each, though, concentrating on proper technique and clean form. I think the ability to perform them correctly definitely reduces injuries; unfortunately, not all gymnasts have the ability to perform them correctly.

For example, I'm lucky because I have pretty flexible shoulders. Whenever I do back walkovers I think about stretching tall and leading the skill with my finger tips first, then opening my shoulder angle as much as possible. I use the flexibility in my shoulders so that my lower back doesn't have to arch/bend as much to complete the skill.

However, some girls who aren't very flexible in their shoulders have to rely on their lower back to get the arch needed to successfully complete the walkover due to the limited range of motion in their shoulders.

At least, I think that could be a possible reason why some gymnasts find them uncomfortable, haha.

The first three walkovers I do are always terrible and hurt a lot! I think it's probably because I need to warm up my back before I can do them properly. But this wasn't always the case - does anyone know why? I still do front walkovers every day.

most stay away from them because of the wear and tear they have already experienced thru the compulsory program. their backs just can't take any more articulation after that. it's to risky.

Flexibilty exercises, good.........walk-overs, bad.

I really think these are a "sacred cow" the old guard from the past is clinging to, and it's unfortunate because it's pretty much the oldies that choreograph the compulsory beam and floor routines. Ain't that right, dunno....or has that changed?

Isn't there a BWO in the level 6 beam routine? Why is there an element in a compulsory routine that girls shouldn't do? Or, is it something they should stop doing when the get older?

My question is why are back walkovers so much harder on their backs than BHS?

I'll admit that the BWO is one of my favorite skills to watch. They are so beautiful! But it sounds like they are the "fur coats" of gymnastics. :)

I'll admit that the BWO is one of my favorite skills to watch. They are so beautiful! But it sounds like they are the "fur coats" of gymnastics. :)

I love any of the walkover skills combined with excellent handstand control such as this routine
With our younger athletes we do a lot of work on developing the shoulder flexibility and correct technique. We don't really do a lot of walkovers as such because the flexibility developed and handstand control makes it possible to learn with few repetitions.

Flexibilty exercises, good.........walk-overs, bad.

I really think these are a "sacred cow" the old guard from the past is clinging to, and it's unfortunate because it's pretty much the oldies that choreograph the compulsory beam and floor routines. Ain't that right, dunno....or has that changed?

yes, kinda. the conundrum is what would you have them do when introducing food groups (skills) to the kids? i just know that as soon as we can get out of backwalkovering the better.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back