WAG front handspings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wish I could see that in slow mo. I put in on pause and tried advancing through it like that. There are a couple of things I definitely picked up but there's another thing that I don't feel I can be sure about but seems rather a major thing to me.

For definite she initially reaches up, then lets her arms drop, then tries to pull her shoulder angle back open just before her hands hit the floor. I would think that would make for a less reliably open shoulder angle than if she maintained the position of her arms in relation to her trunk from the instant she first lifts them. Also her arms are not quite close in when her hands are on the floor, particularly the right one which is slightly bent. I think that probably relates to what BlairBob said about her arms coming wide as she returns to feet.

The other thing that I'm not sure about: Does she do a weird double hurdle? Like she takes this really big hurdle, lands back on the same foot and does this little skip step into the handspring. That's really got to kill momentum and make for poor heel drive.

Hurdle is fine but it does have a bit of air time.

Things ideally a kid would have before working FHS.

Headspring and Flysprings on Tumble-Track. It would be great if they could do Power Hurdle, flyspring on floor before FHS, but it's actually easier on Track and harder on Floor IMO. Of course, FWO and Front Limber.

I rarely allow the FHS with a running hurdle until it's solid with a step in off a panel mat and power hurdle FHS on floor.

... I rarely allow the FHS with a running hurdle until it's solid with a step in off a panel mat and power hurdle FHS on floor.

The golden ticket!!! Falling into the skill from four or five layers of a panel mat will do more in one session than six months of corrections 'til your blue in the face. If they can't do it well enough to make a front handspring you can have them drop into the fhs and place their hands for the block (on the floor ex mat) and then block with heel drive to a flat back on a mat stack that grows as the skill gets stronger. Do the drill 10x and try one power hurdle to fhs..... do the drill 5x and try one power hurdle to fhs. Finish with three step run to fhsx2 and then drillx2 and then fhs2.

we don't have a tumble track or a big trampoline. just a mini tramp.

we have tried head springs but I found it very hard to teach and start with and couldn't find a set up of equipment that would work for them.... we don't have a wedge mat either.

Headsprings are one of those annoying drills that if you have skipped them just will be rough for awhile.

You can use the mini tramp and a panel mat for flysprings. Bounce on flyspring, block off panel mat to stick. Spot it of course.

I start by teaching them over a small barrel and then transitioning to headspring to bridge. Another is headstand, bouncing ball of foot of floor or springer to bridge besides kipping headstand pushups (preferably piked instead of tuck) to teach opening up the hips. You can have them perform the headspring off panel mats. Power hurdle, headspring off panel mat on floor or off the end of the panel mat so that there is more air time to the floor.

That's why they were in the MAG program. To teach opening the hips and build bent arm strength to support the shoulder girdle in blocking.

From the video I would say 2 quick adjustments.
1. bend the front leg more in the lunge.
2. watch your hands the entire time.

Sounds easy but sometimes takes getting used to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back