How many hours of practice for L5? L6?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
Hi all,

We are in the middle of trying to adjust to a new gym, adjust to my older daughter's new dance schedule, and adjust to life in general. It's not going so well.:p Just kidding. Just lots to figure out.

How many hours do your teams practice L5 per week? What about L6? Just trying to get an idea to have some different viewpoints to consider. Thanks in advance! :cool:

When my DD was a L5 L6 she was there 3 days a week for 15 hours a week with an optional day on Sat for an extra 3 hours. We had to sign up the month before for the extra hours if we wanted to do them.

Now during the summer months my DD L5 is practicing 12 hours a week and our level 6s have the same schedule but I think one day the have 30 min more.

My daughter is L5 and is practicing 12 hours a week (3 days). Second year L5s and L6s are at the gym 16 hours a week (4 days) during the school year. During the summer L6s are working out 18 hours.

My DD's gym requires Level 5 to practice 9 hours per week 3x3. There is also an optional practice that would add another 3 hours on but Alex chooses not to do that practice. When she moves to the next level she will then be required to do 12 hours.

At DD's gym, the levels 5-7 practice four times a week for four hours at a time. That is 16 hrs./week.

Hi! My dd is a 5, and she goes 16 hrs a week with one of those hrs being required ballet class. Our 6's go same as 5' s but add Sat 4 hrs so they do 20. I think in the school year they go 18 total, not 20.

Our compulsory girls do 10 hours. We haven't historically had 6's until this past season (one score out meet and then to 7) but for next year they added 3 hours on Saturday for 6's.

They are doing something new at DD's gym. Instead of having a level 6 team, they are having a prep-opt team of 2nd yr. 5's. These girls will compete part of the season as a 5, then after state, compete in prep-op. So the 1st yr. 5's go 12 hours a week and the 2nd yr 5's/prep-opt's are going 16. madigym00, I guess this means we won't be seeing you guys in Huntsville in Nov since you're moving to another gym?

They are doing something new at DD's gym. Instead of having a level 6 team, they are having a prep-opt team of 2nd yr. 5's. These girls will compete part of the season as a 5, then after state, compete in prep-op. So the 1st yr. 5's go 12 hours a week and the 2nd yr 5's/prep-opt's are going 16. madigym00, I guess this means we won't be seeing you guys in Huntsville in Nov since you're moving to another gym?

Interesting!! My older DD may also end up doing prep opt instead of a second year of L5 or a first year of L6. We just don't know yet since the new gym has not officially decided levels yet and we are all figuring out new schedules and she is learning some new skills :) And no, :( we won't be going to Huntsville with the new gym. So, we won't get to see you! It's sad, that was one of our most fun meets with the whole team staying in the same hotel! Ahh...but change is good, right? ;)

Originally Posted by lhmomThey are doing something new at DD's gym. Instead of having a level 6 team, they are having a prep-opt team of 2nd yr. 5's. These girls will compete part of the season as a 5, then after state, compete in prep-op. So the 1st yr. 5's go 12 hours a week and the 2nd yr 5's/prep-opt's are going 16. madigym00, I guess this means we won't be seeing you guys in Huntsville in Nov since you're moving to another gym?

Interesting!! My older DD may also end up doing prep opt instead of a second year of L5 or a first year of L6. We just don't know yet since the new gym has not officially decided levels yet and we are all figuring out new schedules and she is learning some new skills :) And no, :( we won't be going to Huntsville with the new gym. So, we won't get to see you! It's sad, that was one of our most fun meets with the whole team staying in the same hotel! Ahh...but change is good, right? ;)

This is exactly what our gym is doing this year. Most of the team are 2nd year Level 5's. Some will probably repeat L5 but most will move on the Prep Op rather than L6 this season.

I am pretty sure our level 5s have 6 hours during the school year (3 days for 2 hours) and 4 (2 days for 2 hours) hours during the summer. I think our 6s are the same or they might have 1 or 2 more, I'm not 100% sure.

Aw, I was really looking forward to seeing your younger DD do her bar routine especially after hearing how far she's come. :-( Hopefully, the new gym will work out well for the both of them!

Aw, I was really looking forward to seeing your younger DD do her bar routine especially after hearing how far she's come. :-( Hopefully, the new gym will work out well for the both of them!

Thank you!!! She has all the L4 bar skills now, and is still doing them at the new gym, they are trying to clean them up a little bit though! I will be sure and post some videos when I can...I think their first meet will be in November...just not in Hunstville. :(

The average training hours for a level 5 in Australia is 16 hours per week or 4 x 4 hour training sessions. It of course varies some do as few as 12 hours others as many as 24 hours at Level 5.

Wow clearly my gym is on the lower end of the training hours spectrum! Level 3-5 train 8 hrs/week. By Level 6 you have to go Provincial and the training hours increase to about 18hrs/week. There was talk of increasing hours to 9-12 hrs/wk this coming year, but one of our coaches is coming back from maternity leave to work part-time not full-time, so we wouldn't have enough coaches. The girls I compete against train 9-12hrs/wk, but we're still all at the same skill level after a year so I'm fine with training fewer hours! :) It doesn't bother me in the slightest as I'm going into second year university and I don't think I could handle many more training hours!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back