Need help ASAP! Gymnasts please help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

Purpleplatypus

So I've been in kind of a vault slump right now, I head butted the table like 3 months ago and vault has been on and off n it's really pissing me off. I do 7 vaults In a row then I get mental. I just stop going and it's hard for me to focus or concentrate that minor incident has really killed my confidence on vault and I am looking for a way to finally get through this slump. Can someone please help me???:(

It would really help to know what level you are in and what vault you do, but I'll help as much as possible...

Do very simple things and build up. One time I was mounting the high beam from the end using a springboard, I jumped, landed too close to the edge and fell backwards. My head would have cracked on the springboard if a coach hadn't been there to catch me. Do you think I was scared to do that mount after that?! YES! But I started just stepping onto a medium beam from the end, then jumping onto it, then jumping onto a high beam with someone to grab my hands, and now I'm not so scared any more.

Bottom line is, just start doing SIMPLE STUFF. {Right now I'm gonna assume you do a FHS vault.} Do squat-ons and handstand drills, where you jump as if you're going into a FHS, but just stop at the handstand and come down.

It sounds like you have a problem with jumping on the springboard and getting high enough to do a vault correctly. Run fast, do an arm circle as you jump on the springboard, and do a squat-on with no hands. Keep doing that; it's good practice!

Remember to not "dive" onto the vault when doing a FHS, or actually, whatever vault you may do. Pretend there is a wall right in front of the vault that is a foot taller than the vault. Don't run into the wall! JUMP over the wall, put your hands on the vault, then block off the vault and land it. Try landing in a pit first, then onto mats.

DO NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, bend your arms as you go over the vault, you may get a concussion, or worse. Make sure you drive your heels. And JUMP OVER THAT WALL!

Good luck! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back