Parents oh boy... fall season is almost here! I hope my girls are ready...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
I found out today that both of my DDs will be competing in the fall competition season. I have mixed feelings about it. Yay that their coaches feel that they are ready; but wow... I don't see how they are ready. :eek: My 7 yo will be doing USAG 2. She has nearly all of the skills; but does NOT have the mill circle. Her coach seems convinced that she will get it. My 9 yo DD is doing USAG 3. She can't quite get there on her FHC and her ROBHS still needs work (she can do it; but it isn't all that pretty :eek:). The first competition is in less that 3 weeks!!!

I think I was kind of hoping that they would do spring season (all of the level 2s are doing fall; but more than half of the level 3s will be doing spring) so that they would have more time to improve.

The great thing about them doing fall season though is that their schedules won't conflict with DS's schedule since the boys always do spring (well, really it is winter). At least this year I won't have to go to one kid's competition and my husband the other.

Fingers crossed that they can get/polish their skills in the next few weeks and have a great season!

I feel you! My 6 year old DD will be competing USAG lvl 3. With her first competition coming up in 6 weeks she's still missing ROBHS and FHC. I want her to get the skills so badly but I keep trying to remind myself that it's no big deal as long as she's working hard and having fun!

I'm right there with you! DD still doesn't have her mill circle and her FHC, and her ROBHS is still not pretty. I had another talk with HC yesterday, and she strongly suggests doing L2 in the fall. We've given it a lot of thought, and think that it's probably a good idea. I would rather she has a few good meets at L2 to boost her confidence, that compete the level she is not ready for.
So, she will most likely start competing L2 in the fall, and then switch to L3 in the winter, if she is ready by then. The states are not until April\May, so she'll have plenty of time to qualify.

I remember DD didn't have her FHC for the 1st few meets and that mill circle was spotty at best. I was worried but I remember her coaches saying that it would all come together and not to worry. It did. :) Good luck to all those starting their seasons soon! Hope that you guys will keep us updated-would love to hear how things are going with the new routines.

I remember DD didn't have her FHC for the 1st few meets and that mill circle was spotty at best. I was worried but I remember her coaches saying that it would all come together and not to worry. It did. :) Good luck to all those starting their seasons soon! Hope that you guys will keep us updated-would love to hear how things are going with the new routines.

How did she score without FHC and spotty mill? I just don't want DD to be disappointed by the scores too low.

Bars was definitely her lowest scoring event at first. Besides the FHC and mill circle, her form was pretty sloppy. At her 1st meet not only did she struggle with her FHC and mill circle, she fell on her dismount. IIRC, she scored a 6. :eek: When the skills finally came together and form improved, she scored in the mid 8's and by the time she reached state, she got her 1st 9 on bars. I think bars was her highest jump in scores all season. Even if your DD does start the season with low scores, I'd just remind her that there's always another meet and other chances to improve over the season. It's what we did with DD and it seemed to help.

Both of my dd's (6 and 8 years old) will compete new lvl 3. Youngest has all the skills and the oldest is still working on FHC and shoot thru. Praying she gets them soon.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Talked to the HC again (she must be sick of me by now lol). Her politics is that you need to get all the skills, before you start working on the routines and competing. Since DD doesn't have all the skills, she can't do L3. Oh well, I guess every gym is different. We'll just wait and see how fast she can get those skills.

I think that our gym tries to push all of the skills; but with competition season coming up they decided to see who was almost there. The coaches assure me that both girls are very close to the skills that they don't have (FHC for older DD, mill circle for younger). I had asked them at the start of the summer if they were sure that both girls didn't need to be one level down and they said no way. And now that I see the routines, it really would have been almost silly looking for either of them to be one level below where they are going to be. They might not be 1st place in everything at these levels; but I doubt they will be bottom either. I did ask if they were sure that we shouldn't wait to compete until spring and they again assured me that the girls would be fine. haha

Good luck to both your DDs. My younger DD will also be competing L2. She also does not have a mill circle. Almost but not quite :) I hope they all get it soon!!!

oh and by silly looking I just mean that both of my girls are tall, so look older a lot of the time and then also are the average age to possibly a little older than a lot of their competitors. They both have all of the skills for the level down (so level 1 and 2), so they would look like the older girl, kind of stacking the team if they competed down from where they are.

our gym also requires that they have ALL the skills, unspotted, to be in a particular level. My kiddo is having mill circle fear issues, that's what's holding her back.

Good luck to them both! It will be really nice for you to not have conflicting meet seasons ;) You should enjoy that while it lasts!!!

Good luck to them both! It will be really nice for you to not have conflicting meet seasons ;) You should enjoy that while it lasts!!!

you are so right on that! I guess that I just have a few years until they are back to the same season as William since optionals is always winter/spring for girls and boys always seem to be winter/spring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back