Parents switch from xcel to JO?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pullover

Proud Parent
I am trying to decide what would be best for DD (7). A little less than a year ago I moved her from rec to x cel pre team at a new gym further from our home. We love the gym and the program -it's really been great for her -but the drive is difficult for our family and the other kids. One of the reasons that we switched is that we were interested in the less intense x cel program -I was a bit shocked to learn how many hours JO team practices. Another reason is that she was not ready for pre team yet at the old gym and I didn't feel that she was getting much in the rec program there (few hours and coaches didn't really coach). Well, fast-forward about 11 months and DD has really caught the gym bug and I am confident that she could handle more time in the gym. Combine this with the fact that it would be easier for us to get her to more hours at the closer gym than to fewer at the x cel program that she's in now (not to mention that the x cel program practices at very inconvenient times -late!). So I am considering another move. My reservations at this point are that she LOVES the program she's in and I hate to do anything to make her love gym any less -what if the new program doesn't work out? I am assuming she would move to pre team now and not to team for about a year so she would be newly 9 when competing level 3 -is this on the older side? Should I be concerned about this and keep her in x cel for this reason? And finally I am concerned that if she doesn't do well in JO she will be driven away from a sport that she currently loves -is x cel more sustainable for a gymnast with average talent?

I think it really depends more on investment and motivation than talent. My L8 DD has probably climbed closer to average for the JO side over the years, but she's below average on her team. However, she has worked her tail off, compensating for her lack of strength and slower capacity to pick up and perfect skills. I am in awe of what she can do now. What does your DD want? That to me is the most important question.

If you do not have America's most talented tiny gymnast, it can actually be a good thing for the long run if she learns early on to rely on internal goals and achievements rather than scores and medals. Everyone's bound to hit a rough patch here and there, and I think it's a bit easier to get through the rough patches if they don't correspond with learning for the first time as a L8 or L9 that you don't automatically get to stand on the podium at every meet. DD's example of grace in working through her struggles has been of tremendous benefit to DS, who learned from her that his meet goals are best set around doing his routines and skills at the level of excellence to which he aspires.

Explain the difference to her and ask her what she wants. DD was 8 when we were considering similar switch. She loved her gym, her teammates, her coaches, and the gym was actually closer to us, but they didn't want DD on their JO team. DD kept telling everyone how she was going to the Olympics one day. I knew and still know that she isn't going to the Olympics, she is an "average" gymnast, but I wanted to give her her best shot at going as far as she can at this sport, and I knew Xcel cannot take her too far.
So, I explained the difference to her, that Xcel is a great program, and if she wants to stay there that's fine. She can stay where she is, and still learn gymnastics, and compete, and maybe have time for some other activities. Or we can switch to another gym, where she'll have a lot more hours at the gym, and will have to quit all her other activities, but she'll have a chance to go as far as she can, whether it's the Olympics, college gymnastics, or whatever. And if it's ever becomes too much, she can always switch back to Xcel. At the end it was her decision to switch, I didn't push her. She was sad to leave her team, but she made friends easily, and didn't even mention her old teammates after a few weeks.
And 9 year old level 3 is not really that old. DD was 9 and she was right in the middle, her age group usually the biggest and the toughest. :)

You could have her evaluated at the new gym and see what they say. She may be closer to being ready for level 3 than you think and, with increased hours, she may be ready in no time! A try-out at the other gym may help everyone with this decision, one way or another.

I don't know much about the differences, but I will touch on the age.
DD was newly 11 when competing L3 last year (newly 12 at L4 this year).
She is the oldest on her team, but there are older girls in our area at meets.
She felt "old" last year because of the time she practiced (two choices) she was with the younger girls. This year, she's in a different practice group, and it's more girls that are 10-12. She doesn't notice much.

As for the age and the whole picture... my DD is average. Our gym has some 9 year old L8s and L9s. That obviously will never be her. But, she has realized that there's a good chance she'll be L5 in 7th grade, and optional (L6) by 8th grade. THEORETICALLY she could be L7 in high school, and possibly make it to L8 before graduating (IF she sticks with it). To her, this is great!
I think if she were to have hit L7 younger (if she started competing 2 years previous like coaches wanted (she had stagefright), then theoretically she'd be L7 now, in 6th grade. Do I think she'd be good enough to make it to L10? not so much. Would she get stuck for years at L7 or L8 and end up quitting? I think so. For my daughter, specifically, the "olderness" will work out for her.
I'm not saying that is your daughter, but I'm just giving an example about how age only matters if.... well, actually, I'm giving an example that age doesn't necessarily matter ;)

As for what level she would be in JO, do you know her skillset? that would help you determine.

It's just according to what you and your DD wants from this sport. If she is not sure, then stay. If you are sure she wants to go far, then give Jo a chance. Because, with Xcel, in the long run you don't go anywhere with the program.

I have never heard of an xcel preteam before. You can do xcel bronze with very few actual gymnastics skills. Do they go from preteam to silver or gold? As for age, I don't think 9 is too old, but some gyms may. As for moving gyms- you mean back to the one she started at? Are you sure they would take her? Some gyms might frown on the back-and-forth- and the current gym may not welcome you back if you change your mind again. What does your DD want? Does she love the gym or love gymnastics? I thought my DD love ballet until we moved. Fast forward three valley studios and I realized that she loved her dance school (it was like a big family) more than she loved to dance. Now she is a gymnast and lives and breathes the sport, even not loving her gym. It's something to think about, because if it's the place she loves, the spark may go out at a new gym. Does the current gym not offer a JO track?

So did she in the end make it to pre-team/team at your current gym? I thought you were the one whose DD was getting the runaround as far as being told she would likely get to do preteam and then kept being told excuses why it wasn't happening...?
Either way, it seems as if some areas are more serious about Xcel than others. Here, and in most areas, it's a fun way to do gymnastics and get to compete but it won't actually lead anywhere "real". If you want to make sure she has all opportunities available to her, JO is really the only way to go. Xcel is a great program and I can see it being wonderful for many gymnasts but be aware of the limitations for the future. :)

I wouldn't think at this point (is she competing yet? or still on pre-team) there isn't any harm in at least exploring moving back if they'll have you (which I imagine they would if she was just a rec gymnast before). I have never heard of excel pre-team either, at our gym you go into pre-team which is part of the JO track, or you go straight into excel bronze. What kinds of skills does she have currently?
I don't know how much talent would play into my decision, personally, unless she really just doesn't have what it takes to be a competitive gymnast at all. It's ok to have an average amount of talent and to find something challenging and work hard at it. It's all about the coaching and those coaches helping the kids learn to be and feel successful, no matter what that means for each individual kid. My DD's pre-team is 6 girls who, I'm sure at any other gym, would be considered to have very average talent, but they will likely compete L3 next year, are hard workers, and have fun in the sport.

Our gym has an Xcel pre-team. It even has Xcel Preteam1 and Preteam2 as you advance before you are officially invite to Bronze. These pre-teams are separate from the JO pre-team and are structured somewhat differently. Our gym takes Xcel quite seriously as a competitive team, though are inclusive to just about anyone who has the motivation to try.

To the OP, 9 year old at L3 is very normal. Not too old at all. I wouldn't worry about that part as a factor as long as the gym you are looking into isn't one of those that is highly age-restricting (i.e., ridiculous).

I know every gym's policies of moving between JO and Xcel are different, but I think that in most places, if a girl is in JO and decides at some point that it's too intense/time consuming/etc that moving back to Xcel would be welcomed. We have some really talented former-JO girls on our Xcel Platinum team that left JO so they could also compete in other sports. The early JO training (higher hours) definitely prepared them with the form and technique to be highly competitive.

If your daughter expresses interest in higher hours, and you judge that her focus would be a good match for what is often a 'more intense' class with more conditioning, and possibly 'more firm' coaching style of enforcing application of corrections (maybe not true, but this is the case in our gym for example), then trying out JO will likely give your daughter the best opportunity for achievement long term. If you try it out and it isn't a match, it's very likely you could return without issue to the Xcel track and enjoy what that program offers. For the record, we've tried out both. My DD is currently in JO, but I would happily support a switch back to Xcel at some point if she wishes.

Good luck!

I have never heard of an xcel preteam before. You can do xcel bronze with very few actual gymnastics skills. Do they go from preteam to silver or gold?
I know an 8yo who is on the Xcel preteam at a nearby gym. Not sure what their requirements are for competing.

I know an 8yo who is on the Xcel preteam at a nearby gym. Not sure what their requirements are for competing.

Yep, our Xcel pre-team has girls age 7 to teenage. Ours, for example, has team tryouts for Xcel a couple times a year. (Pretty much everyone who tries out is invited, but it's nice that they have this formality to really see who is interested and make it a formal process). Most everyone goes on preteam1 or preteam2, the point being to see if the girl likes the different structure/focus of training that is different than the way rec classes are conducted (more conditioning, etc.). The move up to Bronze can be as early as a few weeks, and as much as a couple years, depending on progress. They will work with anyone who shows up with a good attitude and works hard, even if takes 2 years to get an OK cartwheel or to do 1 pullup. Our Bronze is equivalent to JO L2/3.

Just our example. I hear there is great variation.

Yep, our Xcel pre-team has girls age 7 to teenage. Ours, for example, has team tryouts for Xcel a couple times a year. (Pretty much everyone who tries out is invited, but it's nice that they have this formality to really see who is interested and make it a formal process). Most everyone goes on preteam1 or preteam2, the point being to see if the girl likes the different structure/focus of training that is different than the way rec classes are conducted (more conditioning, etc.). The move up to Bronze can be as early as a few weeks, and as much as a couple years, depending on progress. They will work with anyone who shows up with a good attitude and works hard, even if takes 2 years to get an OK cartwheel or to do 1 pullup. Our Bronze is equivalent to JO L2/3.

Just our example. I hear there is great variation.

I really love this. I wish it was like this everywhere, I guess. My YDD tried to move to xcel at our previous gym, and was denied because she couldn't do an unassisted pullover. She was devastated by it, and did end up leaving artistic gymnastics altogether. She then got her pullover in open gyms working with her sister. I wish the old gym had been willing to give her a shot. The requirements for bronze are pretty basic and she could have easily competed, but they had un-budging standards.

We moved my DD from a regional competition program (like xcel) to USAG and I have mixed feelings about it. When we moved, she was at teh top of the podium in the 'easier' league and that all changed at USAG. At age 8 she had to learn that no matter how much hard work she put in, she may not medal, she may not place, and she may not be competitive.

To clarify, she is a good gymnast who can get the skills-- but she is not great at meets and does not yet have the precision (even at almost 10) that many gymnasts have. But, she wanted and still wants to be pushed, she wanted and still wants to learn the higher level skills, and to do those skills, requires more hours and more emphasis on gymnastics.

So, she is in USAG , and just started optionals. Despite having a good clean first meet and getting a 35 AA, she only placed on one event. Sometimes, I wish she were doing the regional league so she could feel like she was 'winning.' I think it is hard when you are in the bottom half of the kids-- but she perseveres, sets internal goals, and wants to stay put.

And, I don't agree with comments about xcel not 'going anywhere.' where are most of these kids going? if you have a superstar, then the discussion likely wouldn't be between xcel and JO. But for most of the kids, they are doing this for the here and now and hopefully loving it.

I really love this. I wish it was like this everywhere, I guess. My YDD tried to move to xcel at our previous gym, and was denied because she couldn't do an unassisted pullover. She was devastated by it, and did end up leaving artistic gymnastics altogether. She then got her pullover in open gyms working with her sister. I wish the old gym had been willing to give her a shot. The requirements for bronze are pretty basic and she could have easily competed, but they had un-budging standards.

What a shame! That sure seems to go against the philosophy of Xcel in my opinion, but I know sometimes gyms have to be more selective due to resources. Doesn't sound quite like your case (sounds more rigid for rigidity's sake alone!), but giving some gyms the benefit of doubt that they can't logistically include everyone as much as ours has been able to so far. I'm really sad that it forced your DD out of the sport. Many of our Xcel pre-teamers can't do a pullover either.

To the OP -

I know its hard, but you need to look hard in your crystal ball and try and see where the future might lead. You need to know the reality of the gymnastics world: if your daughter has dreams/goals beyond club gymnastics (for example, college gymnastics) then Xcel is not going to get her there on its own; at some point she will have to get back into the JO system and establish herself there. That probably means sooner rather than later. Xcel is fine for what it is designed to do: keep girls in the sport when they love it, but don't want the rigor and demands of JO. There isn't a single recruit that has signed in this signing period that came from Xcel; its just a fact of life in this sport. And further, most of those signees have been multiple-year level 10's; another fact of life.

Good Luck.

I thought someone said xcel wasn't earlier in this thread but they were talking about something else- my bad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back