Coaches Teaching double back hip circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In our rec program and XCEL, our coaches teach students to do two back hip circles in a row. My understanding is that this combination teaches students to rotate their wrists and keep their body hollow. My thinking is that I would much rather teach a back hip circle ending with a strong cast. Maybe I should be teaching both? At least with my students, they can barely make the second back hip circle thus killing any potential for a final cast. Am I reinforcing bad habits by teaching this combo? Are there alternative drills that can achieve the same outcome as a double back hip circle?

I never have liked double back hip circles. We do "infinite back hip circles" instead. So no cast or a very small cast and then hip circle over and over by "pumping" the bar. Like doing a very small free hip motion... but never leaving the bar.

Oooh. That makes way more sense.

So with "infinite back hip circles" it sounds like the students should be entering their nth skill with shoulders over the bar (thus simulating a freehip)?

I like double back hip circle from little or no cast as a lead in to back hip circle undershoot, since that's basically 1.5 back hip circles

I do teach double back hip circles as a drill for the backward shoulder drop for clear hip circles. It’s never been a problem, we don’t do it all the time, just now and again.

Our Xcel Golds compete a double back hip circle. It has created fewer deductions with the rule of needing 2 circling skills. If they are killing momentum for a cast afterward, there's something wrong with the form. I'd need to see it - but my best guess is either throwing the head out/back or piking/arching.

Hi I'm back! Excellent advice from the community as always.

I think what's happening with my students is that they are attempting the second back hip circle before perfecting the first back hip circle. As @Xcelgymnast_Lynn predicted, they are breaking their form (some pike, some arch, some pike and arch). I'm going to slow down and focus on the fundamentals before adding elements.

I also appreciate the connection that @JBS made to free hips. If multiple free hips makes sense, then multiple back hip circles should also make sense. THANKS FOR HELPING ME SEE THE FOREST THROUGH THE TREES <3

I do teach double back hip circles as a drill for the backward shoulder drop for clear hip circles. It’s never been a problem, we don’t do it all the time, just now and again.
I do this also for similar. If you want clears to handstand they need a bit more speed than backhips. The second circle allows them to get used to and "tame" the extra speed before they start to extend the clear to handstand. Not as a skill or endpoint in itself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back