WAG Trying to teach kips to rec kids - only once a week!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
My girls only come to class once a week. A few of them are very talented and have gotten their roundoff back handspring back tucks, side aerials, walkovers on beam, etc. Bars is a different story. It is very hard for me to teach them when I only have a few minutes once a week. I have two in particular who are good, but when they glide, their feet go down at the end instead of up toward the bar. I have them doing leg lifts but it's not helping. Any ideas?

Next - one of those two girls comes to me once a week for 1/2 hour private lessons where we have been really focusing on kips and beam. She broke her foot two weeks ago and is now in a boot. She is coming to me later this week for our usual lessons because I figure this is a great time to work conditioning. Can you give me some guidance as to what I can have her doing to help her get the kip? Should I put an ankle weight on the other leg so her weight is even?

I'm not exactly sure, I can't really remember when I started working on them. Probably a year at least, maybe a year and a half, but that is because we didn't work on them very much and didn't do too many drills. Once I started working on them every practice, it was probably about 6 months before I got it. I went through about 3 months of being so close before making it. I know it's different for everyone though, I'm probably on the longer side because typically it takes me a long time to get skills.

Teach them on a higher bar so they don't have to glide...or do run out kips...or let them bend their knees instead of gliding...or get them to come more hours and do more strength.

Can she ask the doctor if it's ok to take the boot off for non-impact/weight bearing work, cuz ankle weights can cause back and hip flexor problems.

If she can't take the boot off, you can have her wear her shoe on the other foot to help balance the weight.

We do not allow rec. kids on the floor with injuries such as described. They must be fully healed to return to class. Whole different story in the team program.

I would work upper body kip strength...such as tubing pulls...pull ups...etc.

Last edited:
She's not returning to class. She is just working with me for 1/2 an hour for some strength training. She's a total nut and I can see her totally going against every doctor's order in the book if she was in class! We are working one on one!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back