2010-2011 meeting at the meet thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well they put up the schedule

Arkansas Pepsi Challenge, Hot Springs (our gym), Dec 11th~13th, (L2-10)

Yankee Doodle Dandy, Pine Bluff, Jan 7th~10th (L2-10)

Tulsa World, Tulsa OK, Jan 15th~17th (L6-10)

Mega "Go Green" Invitational, North Little Rock, Jan 15th~17th (L2-5)

Louisiana Cup, Shreveport LA, Feb 5th~7th (L3-10)

Durham's Invitational, Fayetteville, Feb 20th~21st (L4-10)

Emerald Classic, Cabot, March 5th~7th (L2-10)

Arkansas State Championship, Little Rock, March 18~20th (L4-10)

Level 8 Regionals, Norman OK, April 8th~10th (L8)

Level 9&10 Regional, Plano TX, April 15th~17th (L9-10)

Level 9 Westerns, San Deigo CA, May 6th~10th (L9)

JO Nationals, Long Beach CA, May 13th~15th (L10)

So after all that, i realize i am the only one living around here. I dont see ANYONE else with any of these meets..LOL.
I do have a question. Most of these meets (all but one) takes up three days. Either starting on Friday, or ending on Monday. Is this "normal". Its not really during holidays, so the kids will have to miss school to attend. Just wondering if this is typical.

I do have a question. Most of these meets (all but one) takes up three days. Either starting on Friday, or ending on Monday. Is this "normal". Its not really during holidays, so the kids will have to miss school to attend. Just wondering if this is typical.
When I was competing, it only happened that way at the really big meets. Two years in a row my gym competed at a larger invitational and both years my session fell on a Friday afternoon, but that was the only time it ever happened. With invitationals seeming to be getting bigger, I guess it's only natural that it would be more common.
Where I am, it's very common for meets to be held on Fridays and Saturdays because of religious conflicts, I've often wondered how parents deal with that, especially if they need to pull their kids from school a few times a season, but I guess it works out okay.

Three of my daughter's 5 meets are 3-day meets, two invitationals and states.

Our school offers excused absences for sports competitions.

January

January 8 All American L-7-10 Lindon, UT

January 14-16 Lady Luck L-4-10 Las Vegas, NV

February

February 4-5 Crystal Cup L-3-10 Salt Lake City, UT

Feb. 11-13 Gliders Invit L-7-10 + Hopes/Elite Covina, CA

Feb. 18-20 Leading Edge L-7-10 Seattle, WA

March

March 4-6 Byers Meet L-7-10 Sacramento, CA

March 11-13 Malibu Chlnge L-7-10 Thousand Oaks, CA

March 25-26 Optional State L-7-10 TBA

April

April 15-16 Regionals L-8,9,10 Southern California (hopefully!)

May

May 13-14 L-9 Westerns L-9 San Diego, CA

May 20-21 L-10 Nationals L-10 Long Beach, CA
(not counting on this one...we have a tough region.)

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]We are also going to the Region 1 clinic in Phoenix. That is 6 travel meets, plus the clinic for us this year...this is going to be an expensive year![/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It doesn't seem that there are many people on here from Region 1 and we don't usually go outside of our region to compete. I don't think we will be meeting up with anyone. :( We are going to region 2(seattle) for a meet so that should be fun.[/FONT]

The way most meets work is that - closer to the date of the meet, they will come out with an exact schedule of what session your dd is competing in. Most gyms only require your dd to be at her own session. So let's just say that your dd ends up the 8am Sat session. She will probably need to be there 15-20 min early (or right at 8 - your coaches will let you know what they prefer), the meet itself will take around 4hrs and then awards immediately following. After awards, your dd is free to leave, or stay and watch other levels compete - whatever you like.

I have not heard of a gym requiring a gymmie to be at the meet all weekend. Last year my dd had a 7 meets with possible fri compete times. Out of those - we only ended up with 1 friday session. It is possible to draw ALL friday meets, just not probable thank goodness! In the last 4 yrs - I've only had to pull dd out of school a total of 3 times I think.

Hope that helps some. Try not to worry too much about those friday sessions, you may get lucky and not draw any :)

January

January 8 All American L-7-10 Lindon, UT

January 14-16 Lady Luck L-4-10 Las Vegas, NV

[/FONT]]

Beth will be at the Lady Luck meet this year! What level is your daughter competing?

Thank you NOG. That really helps me understand the break down of it. I was talking to DH about it and i was thinking maybe different levels were different days or if you made it through the first day you went to the second and so on. LOL. I know im showing how unexperienced i am at all this. But i really am learing more and more everyday

My dd competes for the Mason Dixon League and here is their schedule:

December 4/5, 2010 - Excellence Gym Sports - Frederick, Md
January 8/9, 2011 - Columbia Gymnastics - Columbia, Md
February 5/6, 2011 - Twisters Gymnastics - Berlin, Md
March 12/13, 2011 - St. Mary's Gymnastics - St. Mary's, Md
April 16/17, 2011 - North Shore Gymnastics - Elkton, Md
May 14/15, 2011 (Championships) - Silver Stars Gymnastics - Bowie, Md

This year will be the first year that ALL LEVELS will be OPTIONALS!!! (Levels A-E which is comparable to USAG Level 4-8). Last year there were a total of about 425 gymnasts in the league.

Thank you NOG. That really helps me understand the break down of it. I was talking to DH about it and i was thinking maybe different levels were different days or if you made it through the first day you went to the second and so on. LOL. I know im showing how unexperienced i am at all this. But i really am learing more and more everyday

DEANNA - No problem at all . I'm glad that I could help some. If you've never been to a meet before, there's no way you could no how they work. After all, wrestling meets are run kinda how you were thinking. ALL weekend long, if you keep winning, you have to stay and wrestle more the next day. Thankfully gym meets are only a 4-5 hour commitment, lol. I say that jesting, b/c after you've listened to the compulsory music for 4 hrs straight, it might seem longer, lol. Seriously though, if the meet is well run it goes by fast :). Sessions are arranged by levels, so your gym may have girls in every session if your team is large. Let's just say that this is how a meet session will go. (this is just a fictional example)

Fri 8am - level 3s & 4s (combined session)
Fri - 12:30 - Level 5s
Fri - 4:30 - Level 7s
Sat 8am - level 4s
Sat 12:30 - level 7s
Sat 4:30 - Level 8s
Sun 8am - Level 5s
Sun 12pm - Level 9s and 10s
Sun 4pm - level 6s

Depending on how big the meet is and how many girls are competing (and at what levels) they may have combined sessions. Or they may have more than 1 session per level. Many of the meets have websites that they will post the final schedule on so you may want to check on line for updates.

As far as booking hotels for meets. I like to be prepared. After getting dd's schedule for what meets we'll be traveling to, I pick a hotel (most meets have a "host" hotel with a cheaper rate, but you can sometimes do better than that $) and book them for the weekend of the meet from Thurs-Sun (always making sure that there is a good cancel policy of coarse). THEN when the meet session times are announced, I call and cancel the days that I don't need. Some people like to wait and use priceline, or something similar, but the fear that i won't have a decent hotel when needed would drive me crazy with worry, lol. Last year I only needed the hotel for 1 meet!

Don't worry to much, the meets aren't that long and it falls into place. Once you go to a couple you'll get the hang of how they work.

A few additional comments on this topic:

1. Some meets will have event finals for optionals. I have see this format at very large meets where are are multiple sessions for each optional level. They select the top event scores from each optional session and level and bring them back the next day for a final session. A girl may qualify for anywhere from one to all four events for the finals competition.

2. Meets that run Friday/Saturday/Sunday usually have compulsory sessions on Friday. I have have seen L7 and 8 on Friday, but I can't recall ever being at a meet where 9s and 10s competed on Friday. They are most commonly on Sunday, so if you have to miss a school day it is usually for Ls 4, 5 and sometimes 6. (You might compete on Saturday and have to travel on Friday also)

3. DD's school is very strict about absences, up to and including failing the year if too many days are missed, but the also have a program called ALE (Alternative Learning Experience) will excuse an absence for a gym meet as long as she gets pre-approved to attend.

I didn't know that weserns were in SD this year!!thats really cool, but i dont live there. mpkbt- I am from region one also. We might be going to the Malibu classic again this year. It is a great meet!

optinals rocks!!....We have already canceled Malibu. The coach said people have been telling her not such good things about it!

Cathiann....I actually have 2! One is either doing 6 or 7 and the other one is a 10. What about your daughter?

Updated list of meets:

Halloween Invitational, 10/23/2010
Autumn Classic, 11/20-21/2010
Candy Cane Classic, 12/10-12/2010
Hudson Valley Winter Classic, 1/7-9/2011
Coaches' Classic, 3/4-6/2011
Hawaiian Cup, 5/13-15/2011

All are in NY.

That's about a meet a month!

No one is posting meets near us. LOL Nearest one is Arkansas. But here are ours-
Nov- Bama Rama-Tuscaloosa
Planet Gymnastics-Hattiesburg
Jan-Blues and BBQ-Memphis
Elite Gymnastics Meet-Baton Rouge
Feb-NewOrleans Jazz Invite-New Orleans
March- LSU meet-Baton Rouge
State Meet-maybe

A couple more meets may be added when we merge with the gym that our coaches are buying once we see what they are used to doing.

Here is the schedule for my daughters...it gives me a headache just thinking about February...

October- Judges Cup - Simpsonville, SC(neither DD is going to this one:()
November- Huntsville Invitational - Huntsville, AL (older DD is a maybe:rolleyes:)
January- Gamecock Invitational -Columbia, SC
January- Charleston Challenge- Charleston, SC
February- Tiger Paw Invitational-Clemson, SC (older DD)
February- Sparkler Tumble Classic- Beaufort, SC (younger DD)
February- Beach Break Invitational- Myrtle Beach, SC
February- Charleston Cup- Charleston, SC
March- Level 5 State Meet- Columbia, SC
April- Level 4 State Meet- Parris Island, SC (younger DD is a maybe:eek:)

Here is the schedule for my daughters...it gives me a headache just thinking about February...

November- Huntsville Invitational - Huntsville, AL (older DD is a maybe:rolleyes:)

I will be at Beach Break and Charleston Cup. What level is your DD?

Mpkbt-Ohh I really liked the meet. It was run pretty good. I wonder what they were compaining about, but some of the judging was inconsistent.

madigym00, it looks like we are going to be at 6 of the same meets.

USAG
Dec - Candy Cane Classic - Florence, SC
Jan - Gamecock Invitational - Columbia, SC
Jan - Charleston Challenge - Ladson, SC
Feb - Tiger Paw - Clemson, SC
Feb - Beach Break - Myrtle Beach, SC
Feb - Charleston Cup - Charleston, SC
March - Level 5-10 State Meet

AAU
March - AAU Invitational - Columbia, SC
April - AAU State - Florence, SC
July - AAU Age Group Nationals, Wide World of Sports, FL

Last edited:
optinals rocks!!....We have already canceled Malibu. The coach said people have been telling her not such good things about it!

Cathiann....I actually have 2! One is either doing 6 or 7 and the other one is a 10. What about your daughter?

level 9 this year. I used to have two on team too until her older sister quit for HS gymnastics. You must be writing out big checks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back