Parents 2nd Level 5 Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Everyone,

We had our second meet on Saturday 1/9/10. Going into this meet, DD was a little frustrated. Last year she never qualified to States. This year, she was the ONLY kid who hadn't made it over the vault table without a spot. In all honesty, she should have done a year of devo at this gym and competed level 4 this year. But there is a big push to fly through the compulsuries at this gym since it is an elite gym.... I digress.

First up Floor: She has all her skills on floor and dances well. Her FHS is rough and her ROBHSBHS can be beautiful or not depending on the day: Well her FHS was not too bad for her, a little bent legs and leg separtion. Dance was great, leap & "hop" were great. BWO always pretty. ROBHSBHS was very sloppy, but as I said this is not a consistent skill for her. All in all it was a nice floor routine and she scored her personal best for level 4 & 5 of 8.775.

Next came the dreaded Vault: At our first meet she required a spot and scored a 5.5 :( Back to now.... She didn't clear the table once in warmup. First vault, needed spot to get over. 2nd vault she made it over!!! with a few "steps" on her hands. But she made it over!!! She was so excited. 7.2

Bars: She loves bars but her coach lacks in the actual coaching and having them work on the skills they need. The NEVER seem to work on their bar routine start to finish... anyway she made all of her skills (first time) but is still missing connections. She is a very pretty bar worker though and it is her FAVORITE event. 7.8

Beam: Not her best day on beam. She went almost all the way up on her handstand. Dropped her back leg below level of beam on her leap. Cartwheel was good. Didn't hold handstand at all on dismount. Also some bobbles along the way. Still a decent score at 8.45.

The best news is she qualified for sectionals. She was still bummed about not placing, but so happy she qualified. "Mommy, I didn't think I was going to qualify at all and I qualified at my second meet!"

I took a gazillion pix of her and her teammates. My DH videotaped. Unfortunately, the vid cam has to be plugged into the wall when sending to the PC. We can't find the adapter! Grrrrr! Hopefully we'll find it soon. Here's a link to some pix. Picasa Web Albums - aint2woozy - Floor

Thanks as always for all your support!

Congrats to her!! Glad she qualified already--now she can relax and enjoy herself.

Way to go! Congrats! Big high five on the vault!!! My dd has issues with that at times--it is hit or miss and your dd should be very proud that she went for it in a big pressure meet situation. Way to handle the pressure!

SO happy that shge made it to States and now she can focus on her routines instead of that big elephant in the room. Sounds like she had some great new improvements and has much to be proud of!

those photos are gorgeous especially the supergirl one! Love her leotard. She did great to get over the vault. Well done. In the UK if you 'walk' on the vault it is a zero which is too harsh. Your rules are better! Can't wait to see the video and good luck for sectionals!

AWESOME PHOTOS!

I need camera details - I can't seem to get good picts

Thanks! I have a Canon 50D $$$ with an 85mm f/1.8 prime lens $$. This allows me to photograph at 1/500s shutter speed and ISO>1000. For this meet I used ISO 1250. I think I may boost that at the next meet depending on lighting. The flourescent lights at this meet were horrible and I had light, dark, pink, white shots depending on where in the clock cycle the bulb was when I took the shots. Does that make sense???

I can also give you a great website for info. I don't think I can put a link here, because I think that would be promoting a commercial site. Just pm if you'd like info. They've helped me a LOT.

those photos are gorgeous especially the supergirl one! Love her leotard. She did great to get over the vault. Well done. In the UK if you 'walk' on the vault it is a zero which is too harsh. Your rules are better! Can't wait to see the video and good luck for sectionals!

You're right that is way too harsh. They should get some credit. FHS is a tough vault IMO.

Great job on the vault! I know it had to make your daughter happy. That is my DD's least favorite event. Last weekend was her first L5 meet. She did OK in warmups. She made it over on her first vault, but shee was very arched. Then she landed on the vault on her second attempt. Thank goodness it was the last rotation.

Congradulations on your daughter having a good 2nd level 5 meet and qualifying for sectionals. We are also in PA so maybe we will see you there. Level 5 seems like a tough level but I think my daughter repeating 4 really helped, she also has trouble with her FHS on the floor but is better at vaulting with it.

She is doing good for only her 2nd meet at level 5! Especially since you say she should have done 4 this year. :) Congrats to her for getting over vault by herself. That is big. And qualifying for sectionals so soon is a weight off for sure. Lots of luck to her this season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back