WAG AAU optionals - need to score out of compulsory for USAG optionals:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
Just a curiosity question. I "think" I'm right, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows.

Do I have it right that to do USAG optionals from AAU, they need to score out of USAG compulsories?

Last meet, there was a team that previous scores showed levels of 7A and 8A. Then last month L4, and this meet, L5. So I think I have it right, but just wondering. (I don't want to ask HC because I don't want it to seem like I'm being "Oh! No wonder they beat my kid", because that's not it at all. This meet seemed to be a mobility meet all around, so more power to anyone who reached their goal! (Mine did :) Scored out of L5!)

To go into USAG optionals, you have to "pass" through L4 and L5, by scoring out. It can be done in two consecutive meets, but yes, they would have to learn the routines and perform them and achieve a passing score.

The score out would have to occur in a USAG sanctioned meet, so yes. We don't have AAU here but my understanding is a lot of gyms basically compete both of them, so this wouldn't generally be a problem. For example, they might do a season of AAU 3 as a sort of a preteam/pre level 3, then USAG level 3, or do at least one meet of USAG 4/5 to get the score.

AAU and USAG are two VERY different national sanctioning bodies. USAG is the body approved by the powers that be to run the USA Gymnastics program and use that label; AAU is not.

For an athlete to make it to USAG JO Optionals, they must enter the JO system and compete or score out of the required compulsory levels before entering the optional levels. There is one exception to this and it deals with older gymnasts coming from any other system being able to petition into level 7.

Good Luck.

The score out would have to occur in a USAG sanctioned meet, so yes. We don't have AAU here but my understanding is a lot of gyms basically compete both of them, so this wouldn't generally be a problem. For example, they might do a season of AAU 3 as a sort of a preteam/pre level 3, then USAG level 3, or do at least one meet of USAG 4/5 to get the score.

Our low level compulsories do USAG in fall and AAU in spring, so I never gave it much thought, but this makes a lot of sense.
I didn't even realize until all this that AAU even went through optional levels.

Pretty interesting. I know one mom was acting like that wouldn't be fair to her DD if that's what these girls were doing, scoring out of 5 after having been AAU 8. But I reminded her that we were at this meet pretty much to get our girls scored out of 5, and that's what they were doing, too.

Reactions: sce
Pretty interesting. I know one mom was acting like that wouldn't be fair to her DD if that's what these girls were doing, scoring out of 5 after having been AAU 8. But I reminded her that we were at this meet pretty much to get our girls scored out of 5, and that's what they were doing, too.

She's worried about placings at a score-out meet?

:rolleyes:

Just a curiosity question. I "think" I'm right, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows.

Do I have it right that to do USAG optionals from AAU, they need to score out of USAG compulsories?

Last meet, there was a team that previous scores showed levels of 7A and 8A. Then last month L4, and this meet, L5. So I think I have it right, but just wondering. (I don't want to ask HC because I don't want it to seem like I'm being "Oh! No wonder they beat my kid", because that's not it at all. This meet seemed to be a mobility meet all around, so more power to anyone who reached their goal! (Mine did :) Scored out of L5!)

if your child competes AAU, none of those scores count for mobility in the USAG system. if they were to compete in AAU, they did compulsories and they are older you could petition the state committee you're in to petition to Optionals in the USAG system. if the petition is not granted, they would most likely be allowed to enter Level 6 which is really the first level of Optionals. you must check with your USAG State Director for the Women's program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back