Coaches AAU vs USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BeachGym

Coach
Is there anyone that is familiar with the AAU program. I am in Florida, and our kids are currently doing well in competitions for the most part. However, there are lots of gyms moving to the AAU program. I was considering moving my compulsories to the AAU program and then just having a mobility meet every year, then there would be no petitioning when the got to 7. In Florida, AAU divisions kids in awards within the level. For example, a 0.0-29.95 AA would compete as a novice, a 30-31.95 would compete advanced, a 32.0-34.95 would compete open, and a 35.00 and up would compete in the elite division. I have been looking at the scores and the kids in AAU seem to be scoring well, but you don't need a 38 AA to place. I'm not sure there is any benefit to this as these kids would be in the 35 range, but I hate to move just some of the struggling kids to AAU. My compulsories are only working out 6 hours a week until level 4 and then 12 hours a week. Is it possible to run a 2-track program? I am against the "every kid is a winner" attitude, but I am finding it hard to compete against gyms that are working their 3s out for 20 hours and repeating them year after year. This may be a specific location problem, but I was just wondering everyones thoughts.

I have some experience with AAU, and I'm not sure what you mean about novice advanced elite etc? They have USAG levels as well as Xcel. I think it's good for kids to have a few "every kid is a winner" meets, especially when they're younger, so they don't get discouraged.

There are some successful gyms that run 2 track programs. It just takes more planning than a gym that does ONLY USAG and ONLY AAU.

We compete within a program that is similar to AAU (had divisions based on ability). I don't necessarily think that either program has an "every kid is a winner!" attitude, I just think that the divisions allow children to be rewarded for accomplishing REALISTIC goals for them.

If you have a bad meet, you're not going to place no matter what.

Thanks for the replies! I think that the division thing may be just a state by state case. Why would it take so much more planning to run 2 tracks? One of the things I noticed was we could compete USAG in the fall and then level up in the spring for AAU. Has anyone done this?

I have some experience with AAU, and I'm not sure what you mean about novice advanced elite etc? They have USAG levels as well as Xcel. I think it's good for kids to have a few "every kid is a winner" meets, especially when they're younger, so they don't get discouraged.
I think what OP meant is that within, say, L3, they have divisions based on what their previous AA scores were instead of age ... so it they have previously only scored a 30.00, they don't directly compete against those scoring 35+ even if they are the same age.

Thanks for the replies! I think that the division thing may be just a state by state case. Why would it take so much more planning to run 2 tracks? One of the things I noticed was we could compete USAG in the fall and then level up in the spring for AAU. Has anyone done this?

Are you talking about competing through State Meet in USAG and then going to AAU after State?
It would take more planning to run 2 tracks because MOST of the Optional Meets (all but 3) are held when you would be competing AAU Compulsories... so it would take planning to make sure you had coaching coverage for both AAU and USAG meets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back