WAG Age for WA State Level 3 Fall Compulsory Season?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

scgymmom322

Proud Parent
We are in WA state and have recently switched from a gym that competes winter compulsories to a gym that competes fall compulsories. Is the age cutoff date for level 3 the same for both? If I understand the ages correctly, she barely makes the winter cutoff--she will be 6 on March 30. I cannot find any information about age for fall compulsories. Does she have to turn 6 by an earlier date to compete fall compulsories? I will ask at her gym next time we are there, but wanted to see if I could get some information earlier! I have tried to find this information online, but have been unsuccessful so far! Thank you!

Not if it is a USAG sanctioned meet. Allowing a child who has not reached the required age by the day of the competition to compete would violate their sanction.
Thank you! Her new gym also placed her on 3, so I need to make sure they realize when her birthday is and see what the plan is if she can't compete!

Here is the language from usag rules and policies...

All gymnasts must reach the minimum age for the level before competing in any USA Gymnastics sanctioned competition (see chart on the next page).Example: Level 3 State meet date is Dec. 1; the last Level 3 State Qualifier is November 17, the gymnast will turn the minimum age for level 3 (6 yrs. old) on November 28th. She is ineligible to compete in the qualifying meet, and therefore does not have the opportunity to qualify to the Level 3 State Championships that season.

So it sounds like they must turn six before they compete but that once they are six they can compete and theoretically qualify to states given they can meet the qualification requirement at a meet after their birthday.

Does your gym only do fall compulsory. Most gyms in Washington that do fall state also do spring state. I think there was only one gym this year that didn't compete spring compulsory that also competed fall compulsory. Qualifying to sectionals takes two scores so you would need two meets after her birthday. Bunny hop is generally mid March and spring fling is first of April. Those two would count I think.

So maybe they are just planning to have her train through fall season and try to qualify last minute at the end of spring season?

Sorry, I also only mentioned west side meets, if you are east or south the last minute meets would look different, of course, but may still exist. Not very many gyms do fall compulsories, maybe only 10-15 gyms in the whole state.

You might be able to find more info at www.usagwa.com. Some of the site is a bit outdated but the calendar is up to date. You can see when the last qualifying meet for fall state was this last season. And like it was said above, for Spring compulsories the gymnast must hit a qualifying score twice to go to Sectionals, from there they qualify to State. I'm not sure if it's different for fall? Our gym only does spring.

Looks like the calendar has an entry that says last qualification date Marc 5-6. I am pretty sure this only applies to optionals since optional state is in mid March. Comp state is much later and if I remember correctly from back in our day, there were kids qualifying to sectionals right up to a week or two before.

The spring compulsory post season was also super weird and delayed this year due to pac rims so next year will likely look different. The new schedule for next year should be out soon. I think they do it at the May or June meeting.

Yes the last qualifying meet for Sectionals was like the week before. I remember seeing one right at the last minute.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back