MAG age level? & new code

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
G

gymfreak2016

:):):)what age can you qualify for the elite level because i see juniors that are still 16 or 17, i also want to know when will the code for 2013-2016 be released the suspense is killing me really , and does any one know will there be many changes ? :):):)

The 2013 - 2016 mens routines are aout now as my son who is a team coach received the DVD from his gym to study just last week with all the new stuff on it (seems this is the new "book") He says that boys are going to start doing the new routines THIS coming season starting in Sept.

Your question deals with separate programs – the J.O. Program, mens version of TOPS (I know it has another name but it just slipped my mind right now). and the various Elite Programs. All programs are almost completely separate from each other and neither the J.O program nor the other program is required before testing for Elite.

This link might be helpful to you Elite Gymnastics - What It Really Takes

The new JO routines are out and available for purchase from USAG. If you're with a good men's program, I'd expect your coach probably has them in hand by now and may well have attended one of the workshops.

My impression is that there's a good deal more fluidity between men's JO and men's elite gymnastics, though my understanding is that part of the point of the revisions in this cycle is to develop a men's program that pushes guys with real talent and commitment to work on reaching higher levels of achievement as they advance through the optional JO levels. I have not seen the new materials, so if someone who has looked at them tells you different, go by that, but what our coach has told us is that there's a new track running alongside the upper JO levels that's designed more for guys who want to be college and/or elite gymnasts. Sort of a post-Future Stars Future Stars, if you will.

I am not sure what changes they are making to the age competition program, but the idea of age-based competition for men takes into account that the guys really need to get through puberty and then train some more before they can reach the absolute top of the sport. For instance, if you look at some videos of Kohei Uchimura from the last Olympic cycle and some of his more recent ones, you'll see why he's not over the hill at 22.

If you're a young teenage guy with big dreams, you've got time. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back