Parents And we have a bar routine!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
Dd does not have her giants yet so I have been wondering what her level 7 bar routine might look like, especially when I know her gym prefers they do giants. She came home excited that she now has a routine. Don't ask me the specifics, but it does not include a giant. She spouted it off to me, I even saw it on a video that my dh took. Looks great to me :D - I have no idea what I am looking at. But phew, we have a routine. Yay! I was starting to think she would scratch bars at her first meet. First meet in a few weeks, yay! I love seeing the pieces come together.

Any other level 7's get those skills they have been struggling on?

congrats! I'm guessing your dd is doing free hips on low and high bar. That is pretty typical for girls without their giants yet. If she has nice clean ones that meet the angle requirements, they should score similar to giants.

this will be dd's first year at L7 too. Bars is her strong events so she is ok on that. She has been struggling with connection on beam (bwo/bhs). I feel she will be ready but she still is very concerned. Vault is vault. She has always struggled with it... And floor - She is excited that she has gotten the go ahead to put her full layout into her floor routine. She has her first meet in 3 wks and should be ready on everything.

Good luck to both these L7 girls! DD was the last on her team to move up to L7, but she has been making good progress. She has the giant but is really working hard to get the form to come together, and is struggling with her kip cast handstand. The L7s had their first meet last weekend, but poor DD made it through two warm up tumbling passes and then was done -- strep has been raging through our entire team. They compete again, hopefully in better health, in 2 1/2 weeks.

Gymgal, that's actually really great that your DD is working a BWO/BHS. A lot of our girls are starting off the season with the easier, but more treacherous, BWO-BWO. And wow, a full?! She ought to have a great season!

I'm very excited for optionals. It's so wonderful to see these girls really getting the chance to showcase their strengths. We got through about 3/4 of our team's floor rotation before I insisted that we leave the meet, and it was just such a pleasure to see the girls out there enjoying their new floor routines. I think this is going to be a very fun year. So well deserved after L6!

prof - dd has had a lot of problems with squaring her hips for the bwo - she has competed it for 2 seasons (she competed xcel, not compulsory) - so doing 2 in a connection is a real challenge. the bwo/bhs is the best option for her. as for the full, she has been working really hard on it. She had a mental block on twisting for a long time and then all of a sudden it clicked. I'm not sure if she will keep it in her routine all season but the coach gave it the go-ahead for 1st meet - I guess it will depend on how she scores with it.

good luck to your dd too! BTW, I don't think she needs the cast hs, just needs to be a 45* above horizontal, I believe. There still might be small deductions but she will get the SV credit.

Oh, the cast handstand is fabulous. It's connecting it to the kip that's the problem.:)

Some of our girls are competing a HS-BHS as a transition to the BWO-BHS, but others are doing the BWO-BWO, and some have the BWO-BHS. And at our girls' first meet, let's just say . . . the beam rotation did not go well. Well, as the head coach says, it's a long season, right? I think this year in particular there will be a huge difference between bars and beam routines at the beginning of the season and routines at the end of the season.

Oh, the cast handstand is fabulous. It's connecting it to the kip that's the problem.:)

aha, it will come. It's an art of getting the right momentum and not being afraid of feeling out of control (this was dd's problem). dd's issue is doing the kip cast hs on the high bar. afraid she will over cast and fall over. while she can do it on low bar, she refuses to do it on the high bar, but she is making consistently making 45* with kip cast on the hb so it should be enough to score OK.

Dd's beam series is a cartwheel round off. I think it looks awkward, but I have seen a lot of girls do it and it always looks awkward. She is still working on the BHS on beam. Just can't get the hands together.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back