WAG Ankle Strengthening Fun?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Okay, quick question.
Kadee has very weak ankles. (She get's it from her Mama..poor baby)It's more her right than her left..and she is a righty. She twists/rolls it often. She has a neoprene brace she wears on it when it's hurting her. (Just a little thin, cheapy thing I got at the store for about $10). She just wears it on floor and vault and only when her ankle is bothering her. Other wise, she doesn't wear anything on it.
Anywho, she has her exercises she does to strengthen her ankles. Heels raises, in a straight position, turned in, and turned out. (3 sets of ten each) She does them. Doesn't really like them. Sometimes acts like her world is coming to an end..ugh!
I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything "fun" she could do to strengthen her ankles. Something that she might not think of as "work". She might enjoy doing.
I worry because she does roll them so easy. She is only an L5..but why not try to get these built up before she hurts them to the point that a neoprene brace isn't gonna cut it.
I think this is the cause also for a lot of her wobbles and bobbles on beam.
I understand she needs to do the exercises and she does. I make sure of it. But, I just figured if there was a game, or something fun she could do where it didn't seem like work, she might not avoid me like the plague each evening..lol. She is 7, so she loves running and jumping and skipping and things like that.
Thanks all for any tips you might have.

Would one of those balance boards or wobble board work on the ankles? They look like fun to play on.

Well, I went looking for a pogo ball. That is what my mother got me when I was a kid (of the 80s..lol) to help strengthen mine. But the only ones I can find are on ebay or amazon. I don't think they make them anymore.
I just don't know anymore.
But the balance board is a good idea too. Def. something along those lines. Where she is playing and not really realzing she is "working"..lol

You could have her stand on one foot and try tossing things into a bucket from several feet away...like bean bags, or sock balls....see how many she can get in the bucket. When she gets really good at that, have her try to do the same thing only standing on a pillow or standing en releve. You could challenge her to get more in the bucket than you do...

You could also have her write the alphabet with her foot, or play a game where you have her write words in the air with her big toe and you guess what the words are...if you are correct then you get a point, incorrect and she gets a point...you could play a game until one of you reaches 20 points...

You can also play lots of hopscotch with her :)

Can you tell my that kids have done physical thearapy for feet/ankle issues? ;)

the header post is an oxymoron. i understand why you asked because the work is so tedious and boring. unfortunately, there is nothing about any exercising of the ankle (s) that is fun. all that is listed above is fun for about 2 weeks. but what you are talking about is hereditary (?) and probably a bit of valgus with pronation. it's structural and exercises will have to be done her entire career to maintain the strength and integrity of the ankle joints. gymnastics is very demanding on these joints over all the others. better to be bored stiff and get lost in the zone of boredom cause it will make the time go by faster due to, and out of, necessity. :)

Wobble board and foot writing, as others have said. You can do the foot writing with a theraband. Balancing on one foot with eyes closed - trying to beat your previous record. Slow heel raises on one foot on a step, so you lower heels below the level of the step - do twice your age on each foot. Can you tell my DD has also been to physiotherapy? I don't think there is anything that is going to be hugely fun. You could make a chart to tick or put a sticker on each day, and give a small reward when she fills it up.

I got my DD5 this balance board ( Amazon.com: Reebok Balance Board: Sports & Outdoors) , and she seems to like it. She'll stand on it while watching cartoons, try to use one foot, then the other. And when kids (and adults), come over, no one can resist trying it out. I have no idea if it's good for ankle strength though, I got it mainly just to help her learn to balance a little better. It comes with a book as well, that shows the different things you can do once you master just standing on it. If nothing else, she could do that while she was doing something else entertaining.

My kids get limited screen time at our house, and usually has to be earned by having room clean, homework done, etc. However, my dd gets "free TV time" while doing her monotonous wrist and (as of last week) ankle conditioning. We also keep a theraband in the car so she does her wrist exercises on the way to the gym. She knows the rule is that if she doesn't do the wrist exercises, she doesn't get to go to practice.

Used a wobble board and it's fun but I really doubt it will strengthen the ankles that much.

3 sets of 10 is not enough volume. Think 3 sets of 50-100.

Most PT's recommend not to do the heel/toe raises with feet turned out in/anymore. Instead rock the pressure to the outside or inside of the foot to change where you want to work the ankle musculature.

Hi! I had this problem in level 4, and my coach told me,( and another teammate with similar problem) to get a "slider" or those slippery on carpet furniture movers, get into a pushup position, except with our toes pointed on the slider, and slide our feet up to our hands and back out. you could have 2 people do this and see who can do the most in a minute, or do it in time with music. I hope her ankles get better!

Yeah, I think the most fun thing to do would be to let her watch her favorite show or blast some Kidzbop while she does the exercises.

Have you been to a doctor or orthopedist? Orthotic shoes might help.

Used a wobble board and it's fun but I really doubt it will strengthen the ankles that much.

I don't know how much it strengthens, but it improves proprioception which helps to prevent injury. The brain learns to quickly correct imbalances, preventing injuries like when your foot rolls over and you sprain your ankle.

She went to the doctor this last time. Granted it was just her GP (although he speicalizes in pediatrics)
He did X-rays, had her stand in front of him, with out shoes or socks. Looked at her from the front and behind. Had her do a scale (to the front..probably calling this the wrong thing..lol) and an arabesque. He watched her do both of these on both feet. And said she had weak ankles. And she needed to exercise them. He said for her to do 3 sets of 10 of toe raises. Ten to the front, Ten turned in and Ten turned out. Rinse and repeat. BlairBob says she should be doing more. (maybe because she just turned 7 is why he had her doing only 10 of each in a set?)
After reading what dunno said, I took a hard look at her ankles to see if they pronate, but they don't seem to. If she continues to have these issues I will to take her to a orho, just to make sure. (soon)
Thank you everyone

3 sets of 10 is fine maybe for the everyday person.

I recommend 150-450 because it's precisely what the Hungarians called for. Almost excessive but we are talking about something with low load (theraband or BW).

Bare in mind how much loading the calves are under day to day. It's not like we walk on our hands or on all fours most of the time. This is another reason calf training in bodybuilding generally calls for lots of volume and loads of 1.5xBW like loading up a leg press machine or 2xBW in a back rack and doing reps.

I don't know how much it strengthens, but it improves proprioception which helps to prevent injury. The brain learns to quickly correct imbalances, preventing injuries like when your foot rolls over and you sprain your ankle.

it does strengthen the small muscles in the ankle. AND YES! it improves proprioception! good call Nicki.:)

My DD had to use a wobble/balance board/ball thing during physical therapy for her ankles, so there must be some benefit to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back