Parents Anyone half day public school in Illinois?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LilHawkMom

Proud Parent
Has anyone did early out or half day in a PUBLIC school in Illinois? I am wanting to do this with my child and I am coming up against resistance, not even allowing for early no matter the time, not even 5 min!

I am supposed to talk to someone "higher up" on Monday but would love to hear from anyone who has been there, done that.

Thanks!

Yes, my eldest daughter is doing a half day in District 97. I originally asked if she could leave early but was refused. Because of the way state aid is calculated, if they don't attend for a certain number of minutes, the school doesn't get the funds. But she could attend half day and they would get that reimbursment. So, she attends in the morning and gets most of her core classes. Then she leaves and is homeschooled for the remaining part of day. It really boils down to her being homeschooled in the core class that she misses in school. I don't worry about electives and she gets plenty of P.E. The district has been great at loaning us the textbook for the class that we homeschool in so that she is on track with her classmates. We get a syllabus from one of the teachers and follow that. It has been a bit of hassle getting the classes scheduled and making sure that she gets all the information on school activities as she's usually not there when they hand out the information. But it's worked for two years and I've already contacted the school about this upcoming year and they are working on her schedule.

I did fill out a form from the State Board of Education the first year that indicated that she would be homeschooled half time and for what subjects.

Thank you for the reply and your experience. I know the IL law says a homeschooled child can take classes in public school if there is room. (There of course is room since my child is already signed up for regular school yr.) But it is so helpful to know others are actually doing it. I think *they* don't know the law and it is easier for them to just say no unless I press the issue. I hope it goes smooth when I talk to someone higher up.

Hi,

Do either of you know what the law is regarding PE? My DD is in a private school and I want to ask for her to be excluded from gym this year. She doesn't need it and I am concerned about her getting injured. I haven't asked yet....was hoping to figure out what the State law is first, but haven't had time to research.

As a private school they do not have to follow the IL state requirements for PE to give her a diploma or credit. So it is up to the private school and their private school rules. Private schools and homeschools are categorized the same and IL law just states "providing an education comparable to IL public school" and clearly you provide 45 minutes of daily physical education (and more!) so your child is meeting this.

For those in public school:

What is confusing is that IL mandates PE *daily* for kids in K-12 BUT it isn't a graduation requirement!?! How does that work??

It also allows for substitution of PE for other activities, sports, band, cheerleading, JROTC,. You would think gymnastics would qualify for it and I would push the issue since clearly gymnastics is at least if not more physical than those listed.

This was not an issue so far during elementary school for my son but now since he is entering middle school 6th grade I will be pushing the issue and it seems I have the law on my side.

Wish me luck on Monday when I go and talk to them about half day and of course no PE! And I wish you the best too!

Well, I found out they are saying no to part time (or any early out) because we didn't ask by May 1st. You have to ask in writing by May 1st prior to the next school year. I knew this but was so hoping they would let him because he was already registered at the school. For us we didn't even decide until July that we wanted to do this so we are out of luck. We are going to homeschool him this year and then request only the core subjects for the following school year so he can do half day.

Seeker, how did you request to drop PE go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back